Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sam_canton

Re: Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

Post by sam_canton »

you can see more in this link...but not enough details for slow speed attachment...

http://www.metallmodellbau.de/Teilen_au ... schine.php
sam_canton

Re: Sakai ML360 wth milling attachment

Post by sam_canton »

johnboy wrote:Hello!
My name is John. I have owned and used this machine for many years now. It is a truly gifted tool and is most repeatable accurate. I bought 'everything' Sakai offered with it when I made the purchase....well tooled!!!. Mr. Sakai passed on a some years back....and none in his family wanted to continue the business. It was purchased in full by a company in Korea...and they still make everything to same quality. The addy is manix.co.kr Many tabletop machines that you are probably familiar with....do not hold a candle to the Sakai, you have a nice machine. Sakai was a camera maker...in that he could not get the part quality he wanted jobbed out, he designed his own lathe. The Sakai ML360 is the end product of a fourty year endeaver. He kept making it better and better. I can copy and send you the owner/user manual if you like. Spindle and turn speeds etc. The Sakai cuts 'BEAUTIFUL' threads.
Stay safe...and be a 'good boy!' :)
john
dear sir,

could you please show me some details of the slow speed attachment? as I can not find it clearly in the manual, thanks a lot.
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

can anybody help? thanks a lot...
stevec

Post by stevec »

sam_canton wrote:I will and I now need some new help...can any one show me more details about the slow speed attachment? I just saw some indirect photos...thanks a lot in advance.
Sam from what I can see in your photo it looks like you need to shift the drive belt from the stepped pulley on the drive motor to the stepped pulley (upper right hand) and re-tension it with the aluminum colored idler pulley. This will decrease your spindle speed by the
factor of the small pulley nearest the motor and the large pulley on the upper right hand .
Hope this helps and that I haven't just repeated what someone may have said on the many pages preceding this.
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

thank you very much! The minimal speed of the lathe is 230/min and can be reduced to 70/150 with the slow speed attachment. So I need more details to see how the attachment works...
Attachments
slow speed attachment1.JPG
slow speed attachment1.JPG (17.55 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

more photos from the manual to show it ....
Attachments
slow speed attachment2.JPG
slow speed attachment2.JPG (21.03 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
slow speed attachment3.JPG
slow speed attachment3.JPG (30.74 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
stevec

Post by stevec »

Sam, firstly I was basing my interpretation on the photo of the Proxon lathe, is it in fact identical to the ML-360 lathe?
The photo of the "slow speed attachment" eludes me, I'm sorry I have no idea what it means.
I also have no idea what or where the device "D" (circled in red by you) is on either the Proxon machine or the ML-360.
Sorry. :oops:
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

Thanks for reply and such device is only for ML360 & PD360, as there is 2 speed of the motor of PD400 so the slowest speed is 80 when the motor at low speed, while there is only one speed of ML/PD360, so there is an attachment to slow down the main spindle speed to 70/150 which was shown in my post...thanks anyway for your kindness.
sam_canton

Re:

Post by sam_canton »

wolfgangh wrote:For info about your machine look here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/index.html

It was sold in Germany by Proxxon (http://www.proxxon.de) under the name of PD360. They are still in business, and spare parts for the PD360 (which was replaced by the similar PD400 a couple of years ago) are still available. Not cheap, however :)

I have a PD360, can send you a pdf of the manual if you want. It is a nice little machine for small lathe work, but I found the milling attachment not suitable for serious work in steel. Works ok for plastic, just barely for aluminum.

Regards

Wolfgang
Dear Sir,

I saw that you have PD360, do you own a slow speed attachment? Could you please kindly see me some photo of it if yes? Thanks a lot.
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

Finally I got it, there is a perfit one in local forum, you can read the photos in the link, of course it's better you can read Chinese... :wink:

http://www.zhizuo.org/forum.php?mod=vie ... ra=&page=1
xzsawq21

Post by xzsawq21 »

Hello :)
I'm gonna buy a precision lathe to build small size and precision things but I couldn't find any Toyo, Sakai ML-360 lathe, even I have sent an email to MANIX company but nobody replied to me yet! After two months I couldn't find anything, eventually I found a Toyo ML360 but it doesn't have tailstock and thread cutting gears, how should I find accessories for the lathe? What happened to the MANIX company? Is there any chance to buy a used or new MANIX ML-360?
Thanks
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

If your going to buy an asiatic lathe. I suggest you get it from Grizzly.
https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categ ... =price+asc
1969 MF 40 Industrial