Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

xzsawq21

Re: Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

Post by xzsawq21 »

Lovesthedrive wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:42 am If your going to buy an asiatic lathe. I suggest you get it from Grizzly.
https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categ ... =price+asc
The accuracy should be guaranteed :) so I think it's better to buy a reliable lathe, in my work the accuracy should be between 0.02 to 0.05mm
pete

Post by pete »

Ok, but that still tells us nothing. What type of work, how large are the parts and most importantly what can you afford to spend? Without that basic information it's impossible to make any recommendations at all. And the machine itself is only half the equation. How much you understand about getting it bolted down in a level non twisted condition and what it's being bolted down to has a direct effect on a lathe that might come with any certificate of accuracy from the factory. In my own situation I know even the floor structure my lathe is sitting on is also affecting what accuracy it can reliably work to without making further adjustments. After that a whole lot still depends on the operators skills and experience.
xzsawq21

Post by xzsawq21 »

pete wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:09 pm After that a whole lot still depends on the operators skills and experience.
Yes, I agree with you :)
Now I need a lathe such as Toyo, Sakai, Manix ML-360 or accessories, I found one but it doesn't have a tailstock or thread cutting gears...
Does anyone have a ML-360 lathe? I want to buy it :)
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

I just googled the Sakai ML-360 lathe. You want one of those yet you dont want one from Grizzly? The Sakai ML-360 seen in the search showed to not have the tollerance that you seek. They are good for jewelry. They wont have thread cutting as there is no need for it on those tiny machines.

The lathe I bought used is comparable to this one.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-f ... athe/m1049
1969 MF 40 Industrial
pete

Post by pete »

The Proxxon 250 is one, but that's just a guess if it could work because you still haven't said what your maximum part size diameter, length or budget is. Even what your planning to do with and on the lathe is important for anyone to give any recommendation that possibly might do what you want. We also need to know where you live, what's available in North America or Europe may be very tough to get and import into some areas of the world. And that's more than true for anything used as well. Set up properly a used Emco Compact 5 in very good condition can easily match your accuracy specifications. And they sold in much higher numbers than the Sakai's did.
xzsawq21

Post by xzsawq21 »

pete wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:36 pm The Proxxon 250 is one, but that's just a guess if it could work because you still haven't said what your maximum part size diameter, length or budget is. Even what your planning to do with and on the lathe is important for anyone to give any recommendation that possibly might do what you want. We also need to know where you live, what's available in North America or Europe may be very tough to get and import into some areas of the world. And that's more than true for anything used as well. Set up properly a used Emco Compact 5 in very good condition can easily match your accuracy specifications. And they sold in much higher numbers than the Sakai's did.
The pieces in my work:
A cylinder with a 1" long and 1/4" diameter with 0.02mm accuracy

A cylinder with a 10" long and 1" diameter with 0.05 to 0.1mm accuracy

I should produce small size things,
pete

Post by pete »

You can just barely get 12" between centers in the Emco Compact 5. And to get that, only if you slide part of the tail stock off the lathe bed by a 1/2" or so. Not ideal, but it can be made to do so. Any end work such as drilling reduces the overall length even more of course. But a lathe turning that length is going to have to be carefully set up so there's no twist in the bed so it can turn parallel along the work piece length. Even then tool and work piece deflection or chatter will likely create some issues with a 10-1 length to diameter ratio, so a fixed and/or traveling steady needs to be on your list as well. But at 1" in diameter even the long bed Shereline would do it since it's capable of 17" between centers. Adding Sherelines accessories to get you those additional steady's, power feed, top slide or even hand cranked thread cutting does drive the price up a lot. I started out with a little short bed Shereline and one of the first things I learned was interests and projects change over the years. And if you maintain an interest in machining, then what you buy today to cover what you need right now is almost for sure going to get replaced at some point. It also started teaching me that any lathe or mills price is almost incidental because it's the rest of the required tooling, measuring equipment etc will add up to far more than the individual machine tools ever cost.

If it were me I'd save up and buy the biggest lathe for swing and distance between centers you can afford, because up to about a 12" swing lathe that additional tooling and equipment is going to cost just about the same no matter what lathe you buy. No one here will ever say machining is a cheap hobby. And yes you can do a lot with a simple lathe, hacksaw, files, taps & dies etc. But it sure doesn't take long before you absolutely need a bench grinder for tool sharpening, at least an offshore 5"x 6" band saw to cut down on the drudgery of hack sawing larger diameter stock, and then before long you'll be looking at mills where the money really starts adding up. With that hindsight I would have saved a massive amount if I'd just saved my money and bought what I now have which finally are the largest I can fit into my shop and afford. And what I have now bought me a huge difference in what my first lathe was ever capable of. Even a lathe properly designed for single point threading can end up saving a lot since it can cut almost any thread pitch on any diameter where taps and dies aren't even made for that or very expensive. So at least for me, a lathe with a proper set of half nuts on the lead screw and a thread cutting gear box is very important. Another option to consider is without a mill (and even with one) buying a lathe with a tee slotted cross slide is a lot more important than it might seem.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Your in for a world of hurt when you get that saiko lathe. Your going to fiind the jewelers lathe doesnt have the accuracy you think it does.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
xzsawq21

Post by xzsawq21 »

Lovesthedrive wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 am Your in for a world of hurt when you get that saiko lathe. Your going to fiind the jewelers lathe doesnt have the accuracy you think it does.
I agree with you, I'm worried about it.
Last edited by xzsawq21 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Now that lathe will hold better tollerances for a bit. Tho the headache is the ways cant be tightened. It is tight new. The nice thing about a traditional lathe. The gibbs are adjustable. so it wont matter in 6 days to 6 months. You will be able to adjust with an asiatic lathe. Unfortunately,, anything is around 600 USD minimum (harbor freight). Yes they are cheap, yet it does work. Tho you will find the Harbor Freight stuff can be sold online here in the states through Ebay at usually 100-150 cheaper that what HF lists it as.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
xzsawq21

Post by xzsawq21 »

I need a drill chuck for the tailstock, live center and a 4-jaw independent chuck for a Sakai/Toyo ML360, Does anyone know Where I should find the accessories? Thanks
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

xzsawq21 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:07 am Does anyone know Where I should find the accessories? Thanks
What the accessories fit isn't as important as what the mounting type and size is. Many lathes share these sizes. Try to determine the spindle size (is it threaded?) and taper of the socket in the tailstock. Once you know these things all you have to do is look for the type of accessory you desire that shares that description.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.