Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sam_canton

Re: Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

Post by sam_canton »

I am new in lathes and I just bought a second handed ML360 without manual, it's very difficult for me to continue untill I found this topic. May I make so bold as to ask for a mamual of the lathe by email to make it continue its life? As I need to take some parts off and replace the ones with rusts. My email is xiejinjin@hotmail.com, and thank you very much in advance...
Attachments
ml360.JPG
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

sam_canton wrote:I am new in lathes and I just bought a second handed ML360 without manual, it's very difficult for me to continue untill I found this topic. May I make so bold as to ask for a mamual of the lathe by email to make it continue its life? As I need to take some parts off and replace the ones with rusts. My email is xiejinjin@hotmail.com, and thank you very much in advance...
Welcome to the forum. The forum has a great bunch of folks here. You may wish to add your location so that others know where abouts you are from. If there is a member close to you they may offer more help. We're not looking for your street address, but state, county, or city is nice. Whatever you are comfortable with.

To add this to your profile click on control panel in the upper right corner of the screen. In the options window on the left hand side of the screen click on profile then fill the information in the appropriate section, clicking on submit at the bottom to save the information.

Including information about your lathe like make, model, and serial number with LOTS of photos is always helpful.
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

Thanks a lot, buddy. I will update my profile and just paid to download a pdf version (http://www.machinemanuals.co.uk/more.as ... e%20manual) as I can not wait a whole day watching it just lying there!...Hope I can receive it later...as I only have a very old version with quite some hand-painted photos which is not visable...
I am from Guangzhou (Canton) China, a city just next to Hongkong, and let me know if you want to know anything about the daily life in China.
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

Finally I got the manual and it's much better than the one can be searched on google...hope I can make it runs well.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

YoungBrain, :D

Here is the ML-360 lathe manual pdf:
http://www.rgmorton.org/pdf/Sakai%20Manual.pdf

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
sam_canton

Post by sam_canton »

Thanks a lot, it's exactly the one I got before and the photo is too dark to read, I got a more readable one. So if you want a more clear one, just let me know. Thanks for your kindness anyway!
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Back to your original post. If the person you bought the lathe from is still around ask what he did with the tailstock. None of these were ever sold without one.
If I recall Sakai was a Japanese manufacturer of field cameras of very high quality in several sizes - 4X5 and up. The base cameras were of wood with many metal parts. This lathe and the smaller one were designed by the company for their own use and were later offered for retail sale to the public. They are of very high quality. I came very close to buying a complete set when they were available. Just about the time I was ready to write my check the owner of the company died and they stopped making the cameras (I think) and the machine tools so I bailed out.
Finding original parts now will be a real problem unless there is a dealer some where that has some old stock left over.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

To the gentleman from China. I would recommend that before you try to replace the rusted parts that you disassemble the machine and remove the rust chemically either by soaking or by electrolysis. These methods will leave more of the metal. I think that have been threads on this site that describe how to do it. If not then I am sure someone currently familiar with the process can help.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Oh boy. I should always go and look at Tony Griffith's Lathes.co.uk before I speak up. I just looked and there is a very good history of these machines. Maybe they are still being mfg.'d. Tony's photos point up the similarities in design to the EMCO Unimat 3/4 and the Compact 5. I wonder which came first? Cary
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Cary Stewart wrote:Back to your original post. If the person you bought the lathe from is still around ask what he did with the tailstock. None of these were ever sold without one.
I'm a bit confused by this comment. A tailstock is clearly shown in the picture. What am I missing?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hello Harold,
I looked at the photos again am still not sure I am seeing a tailstock. That gray thing on the right of the photo should be green to match the rest of the kit. My old eyes may be missing something though.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Further, check the photo of the gentleman's from China machine. He has the tail stock and I don't think it looks anything like what is on the right side of the bed in the first photo. That first one may be a home brew replacement. Owner please respond.
Cary