Logan lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

boaterri

Logan lathe

Post by boaterri »

Greetings:

Can some one offer any tips on a Logan 2557V lathe? There is one available near me. Are there any inherent problems or weaknesses? How does a 2557 compair to a comprable size South Bend or Atlas?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rick
rsr911

Re: Logan lathe

Post by rsr911 »

I don't know that model but I have a Logan 800 series (815 I think) with the flat belt. I was badly abuse before I got my hands on it but with a little TLC it has turned out to be a great tool. Just tonight I had to cut a diameter to 34.55mm and I hit it dead on. Logans are nice lathes IMO.

Here is a website for Logan Lathes

http://www.lathe.com/toc.htm
-Christian D. Sokolowski
Rex Burkheimer

Post by Rex Burkheimer »

You have already gotten some good info from the Logan list on that specific model. I have a Logan 9" that I have been using for several years. I am currently restoring a 10x36 Atlas.
I've looked at some SBs but never owned one. My general opinions:

Logan is an excellent machine, probably as good as any medium-duty old iron out there. If it's been well maintained and is big enough for your needs, you won't be disappointed. Support from Logan Actuator is excellent.

Southbed in very comparable in quality. They are so well known that they tend to get about 50% more $ for comparable machines. A nice 10" logan with QC can usually be had for under $1000, while an average SB will pull $1500.

Atlas is a light-duty hobbyist lathe. It uses pot-metal (ok, Zamak) where Logan and SB uses steel throughout. Some parts for the older lathes are getting hard to find new, but nearly everything you can imagine floats by on ebay every 30 days.. Atlas lathes seem to sell for as much as a Logan, mostly because of the association with Craftsman.

Short version: Buy the Loagan if it's what you want and is in good shape.
Fred White

Post by Fred White »

I have a 2557V Logan- it's a good lathe. Parts are available and prices are "reasonable".

It has MUCH more beef than a 12" Atlas. It has more capacity than a heavy 10 Southbend but somewhat less than a 13" Southbend.

If it is in good condition and the price is fair, go for it.

Best if it has the L-00 spindle, but mine with a 2.25 x 8 TPI spindle does fine.
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

Thank you for the good information. I am new at this and not sure of which manufacturers are better than others.

Thanks again.

Rick
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

A lot of the advice on lathes of the Atlas, South Bend, Logan variety is colored by the prejudices of the owner in a fashion very similar to the partisanship of Ford, Chevy and Dodge owners. Some are better than others for specific reasons which may or may not be relevant to your situation.

That caveat out of the way, the Logan will probably do everything you need from a machine of its size. I bought a 2555VH used (shorter bed than a 2557 but otherwise the same) and am more than satisfied with it.
agshooter

Post by agshooter »

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am looking at a 2557 VLH and was curious to get some thoughts. What are the concerns with the 2.25 x 8 tpi spindle nose?
what's a fair price for this lathe, appears in good shape and has some tooling.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

According to https://wiki.artisansasylum.com/index.p ... an_2557VLH the "L" means it has an L00 spindle.

That said, I get along fine with the threaded spindle on my Logan.

I might go $2000 for that lathe if I had it to spend.
Last edited by John Hasler on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Location has a LOT of bearing on the price ! Also tooling chucks-toolpost etc. I personally do not care for threaded spindles as I tend to do a fair amount running in reverse,that said millions of lathes were made that way with no problems in use. If it is under power run it up and down across the speed range to make sure the vary drive is working corectly and also operate it in back gear as those are not out in the open. I have had several Logan's and rate them above South Bends.Also to have the 'H' in model number which means hardened bed a good plus. Scott Logan has taken on the supply of parts BUT most are made to order and are not Cheap !!
EDIT DUH !! I missed the "L' in the model # yes it should have the L-00 long taper nose ,which I prefer to the cam lock ! If it was in Phoenix I would be going to have a look at it my self ! Price anything from $500 to $3000 depending condition and included tooling and location.
www.chaski.com
agshooter

Post by agshooter »

Thanks fellas, Assumed it was threaded based on other research, but it is in fact and LVH model, so if L signifies L00, I believe ya.
It comes with a few chucks, turret, tailstock, and a couple of tool heads. Asking $3200. (Above my range, so hoping I can talk him down).
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> It comes with a few chucks, turret, tailstock, and a couple of tool heads.

Worth a lot.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Absolutely, most important thing is how much bed wear does it have. Lots of ways to
determine wear. It if it is not worn much, it’s worth a lot more than average
“Going price”. Maybe up to 2x -4x as much as a clapped out lathe. A lightly used machine is a pure joy to work with... worth the premium I think. :D

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....