Logan lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Logan lathe

Post by John Evans »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:11 pm Absolutely, most important thing is how much bed wear does it have.
Glenn
That lathe has a hardened bed so unless really abused should not be a issue.
OP should jump on it if in good shape,as 12X36 imports are around $4500 + now.
www.chaski.com
Glenn Brooks

Re: Logan lathe

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi John,

Good to know. He may be OK then.

I bought a SB Fourteen couple of years ago, w/flame hardened bed. Practically no wear on the ways, after 45 years use. It’s been a dream to use, compared to the junked out equipment I shouldn’t have bought when I first started out... although it did have some other seriously worn components - cross slide screw, couple of worn out thrust bearings etc. nothing big, but took a bit of time to sort out and replace.. I was sort of thinking about bed wear being a proxy for all the other wear that one should look for - tailstock, cross slide, screw threads, etc. just wanted the prospective buyer to be aware of accuracy and condition when he starts to get into buying used equipment.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....