Way Protection

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Way Protection

Post by gwrdriver »

After FAR too many years without one, I made myself a bedway protector yesterday. It's basically a piece of 8" x 12" plywood with 1x2 rails, and could just as easily have been the plywood, with a 1x or 2x runner down the middle. I glued plastic laminate strips under the plywood to eliminate wood to metal contact at the V's. But why now, after all these many years?

Shortly after the beginning of "all those many years", one of our local model engineers, who was getting on up in years, was badly injured when he lost his grip on an 8" chuck, which rolled off the ways and landed on his right foot. It was a heavy chuck, for an L00 spindle nose. He never walked the same again, and I never forgot his experience and have been very careful handling chucks ever since.

So far I've never allowed a chuck to touch my ways, but now I'm also getting on up in years and haven't the upper body and arm strength I once had. So in the future movement of my largest chucks (also 8") from shelf to spindle will increasingly become an adventure. I might drop one on my foot someday, but at least with this board the ways won't be harmed. It's a simple dodge and makes me feel a little safer and protective of my ways.

Yes, there might be a lift of some kind in my future, but I'm not quite to that point, but I do think about it, every time I lift my rotary table onto the mill.
Attachments
BedBoard.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
GlennW

Re: Way Protection

Post by GlennW »

Perhaps a frame around the outside edges so if the chuck gets away it won't roll off.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
arborist

Post by arborist »

Cut it in half on a line joining headstock to tailstock. Staple a piece of webbing to the underside. It will dip a little under its own weight and dip even more with the weight of the chuck on it. It thus becomes self-centring in case of a mishap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

or just nail a couple of 'furring strips' along the Z axis...

or

or

or...

everyone has an improvement on a good idea...

I just use a piece of 3mm cheapo plywood that bends under any load....

typical blacksmith solution...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Yes, or, or, or, . . . Eeveryone has their improved version, so when you make yours do it that way . . . on mine the "roll rails" (3/8"sq) weren't yet installed.

I posted this not because I thought it was some great accomplishment, or clever idea, but for those who might be reading this board who hadn't heard of such a thing as a bed protector. So while mine is done (except for a coat of varnish) the constructive suggestions may give others some ideas.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I have a suggestion for you that I use. In addition to your plywood way protector, if you put a broom stick or rod of aluminium in the chuck and tighten the jaws such that it is 6+ inches into the spindle and the same towards the tailstock, you have a handle that makes it easier to carry and slide the chuck on and off. With a hand on either side of the chuck you ease the stick into the spindle, do up the cam locks and then release the broomstick from the jaws. Doing the same in reverse and you can control it when you remove it. Much easier than trying to hold the chuck only. Might be time for steel toed boots too. :wink:

Pete
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

That's a usefull idea.
I have some steel-toed shoes I always wear in the workshop, as much for the foot support on concrtete as the steel toes. Made by Skechers of all people, but they've worn far better than the more familiar brands (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc). Of course now that I need a new pair I find they've been discontinued!
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

gwrdriver wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 pmI posted this not because I thought it was some great accomplishment, or clever idea, but for those who might be reading this board who hadn't heard of such a thing as a bed protector.

Hmm...when I was a kid, there was such a thing as a “bed protector,” but it wasn't for keeping chucks from dropping on your toes. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Pete Inspector:
I love your broom handle idea for managing heavy lathe chucks!
It will become Standard Op Procedure in my shop.
RussN
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

gwrdriver wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:45 am ............
I have some steel-toed shoes I always wear in the workshop, as much for the foot support on concrtete as the steel toes. Made by Skechers of all people, but they've worn far better than the more familiar brands (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc). Of course now that I need a new pair I find they've been discontinued!
Thanks for the info, I was just looking at my shop shoes ( Wolverine ) last week and said I need a new pair because it is getting harder to polish these .....just kidding !
So i stopped at the store and it looks like they don't make shop "oxfords" anymore. You either had to get Boots , or shoes that belong in a Basketball court ...I'll keep looking and check out red Wing
Rich
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I like my Aussie made Blundstone slip on boots. Not cheap but comfortable for me and it is what I wore for the last decade when I was working. I'm way past wanting to lace up footwear. :)

The broomsticks also lend themselves to putting the chuck on a notched rack for storage. A little like the weight racks in a gym, not that I frequent them. :roll:

Pete