Newbie getting in over my head?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nessism

Newbie getting in over my head?

Post by nessism »

Hello to all, and please forgive my newbieness... :?

I'm the former owner of a worn out South Bend 9", and current owner of an elcheapo Chinese 8" mini lathe.

I'm looking for a better lathe, and have found a couple of different options. I'm looking forward to a project, and which ever I pick, I'll break it down and do a restoration to the best of my knowledge and skill level.

Option 1 is a South Bend Heavy 10. The seller has had the machine since the '90's, and during that time never got it fully running. The ways were ground, but the machine needs the cross slide, tail stock, and head stock, possibly ground also, to get everything to match/align properly. I have a friend where I work that is what I'd call an A+ machinist, who can help me tune the fit of these various parts, and hopefully, bring the machine back to its former glory. BTW, the listed price is way too high, but the seller seems to be a nice guy and reasonable. My guess is that I can get it for about $1800. Realize, I'm in So. Calif, where gasoline costs $6/gallon, in other words, everything is expensive here...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/h ... 89010.html

Option 2 is a Logan 1920. This unit looks less molested, and is cheaper - $1000. Downside for this unit is that it doesn't have a compound, and the cross slide is termed a "production" unit, with two tool post holders. If I buy this unit, I'll want to convert it to a more conventional setup. I read somewhere that the Logan 1920, which is 11", shares a lot of carriage parts with the 10" units, so that will open up the range of replacement parts? If anyone has knowledge about this detail, please share.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/h ... 48516.html

Anyway, I'd like some opinions about these two projects. Please share your thoughts.
Screenshot_20221027_073357.png
Screenshot_20221027_073500.png
Ken Schroeder

Re: Newbie getting in over my head?

Post by Ken Schroeder »

Keep looking. Neither is worth the money or effort.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Those prices, for that grade of machine, are at least twice what they might go for around here!
Do you want to spend your life fixin' junk or using the tools to make a project?
Pete
Just tryin'
nessism

Post by nessism »

How long do you want me to look? I'm in So Calif, where a 1200 sqft house sells for $1,000,000.

Seriously now, I'm open to suggestions. I've been looking for months and haven't found anything that is a sure thing.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

To paraphrase a movie line, I see boat anchors.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Can you widen your search area?
I had (have) the same problem, very few machines available in my area and when they are the prices are no fun.
I bought my lathe 1,500 miles from where I live, and my milling machine 900 miles.

Here's a really radical thought... what about Mexico?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As previously said.. boat anchors.

Keep looking.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Ken Schroeder wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:33 pm Keep looking. Neither is worth the money or effort.
I second it.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Travel is not that big a deal in the great scheme. I took the wife on a several day trip halfway across the country for a mill.

Have you looked in the Phoenix area, some folks have had good success there.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have a mill from Redstone arsenal in Alabama...and I live in Delaware
nessism

Post by nessism »

I'm not going to travel 1000 miles to check out a machine. It would have to be a sure thing, and if it was, I'd just pay a mover to bring it to me.

Regarding the "boat anchor" comments, LOL. How about some more objective feedback? Are you guys saying that old machines are hopeless? Seems to me that tons of guys are running South Bends, and to a lesser extent, Logans. I'd buy the Logan yesterday, if it had a conventional compound cross slide.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have 3 SB lathes, which are very productive....two of which are older than my 70+ years...all 3 of which I personally inspected prior to purchase.

One of which is a heavy 10..but I would never purchase one that is not fully assembled and proven to run quietly.

A lot of pictures from the supplier is most likely a substitute for in person inspection...but not being in a hurry is the best medicine.

I have a friend that purchased a monarch 10EE -> paid for it and when he arrived to pick it up found that it had been robbed if all its gibs. Anyone who knows anything about machinery knows where this story is headed.

Most SB lathes had un hardened ways. If the SB you are reviewing HAS hardened ways.. then it MIGHT be worth $1800.

Old SB's with worn ways and or damaged headstocks are little more than boat anchors. ..proper rebuilds, which are well beyond most home/hobby machinists, cost more than the machine is worth.

Tuning a lathe back to former glory, in the case of SB's with sleeve bearings and soft ways usually starts with stripping the bed and sending it out to someone who has the grinding equipment and knowledge of what to do with it.

The Craig's list entry mentions that the ways have already been ground..which gives an idea of what this machine may have been through. Owner says "never got around to.. " beyond replacing the half nuts...

Danger Will Robinson.....