Newbie getting in over my head?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nessism

Re: Newbie getting in over my head?

Post by nessism »

I'm wavering like a school girl. Now I'm in love with this Takisawa TSL-800D. I just got off the phone with the seller; he bought it from the widow of the machinist previous owner, who had it in his home garage for over 40 years. I'm guessing it's low usage, but I've asked my friend, who's better able to judge, to check it. This is a real deal made in Japan unit. Built in 1970, before Takisawa moved production to Taiwan.

Sorry for all these posts about different machines, where I'm constantly changing direction. I'm ready to pull the trigger. If this one fails to meet expectation for some reason, I'll most likely buy the Central Machinery unit.
Screenshot 2022-11-25 123508.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Thassa good machine if it is not worn out.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rex

Post by Rex »

I have had about 3 dozen lathes over the last couple decades, including South Bends, Logans, Asian, and a few odd ones. Right now I have two Logans and a LMS minilathe. So I'm a Logan fan. Here in Texas that $1000 Logan would be sold in about 1 hour, possibly to me. Scott Logan still supports the lathes his grandfather built, and parts are available on ebay and from Logan. You can find a cross-slide and compound on ebay, and sell the production setup for about what those cost. The ways seem to hold up well as I have not seen one that was worn beyond usable. I favor the later Powermatic lathes, but the gray ones are fine. The Powermatics all have hardened ways.
South Bend lathes all seem to have worn ways, with a few exceptions. I don't know if it's because they are softer iron or they just get more use. They also have bronze sleeve bearings, where Logans have precision ball bearings in the spindle. The SB brand brings a premium price.
I have no problems with the Asian lathes. I have had several of the older Taiwan machines as well as a late-model Grizzly 12x36. All those Taiwan lathes had hardened beds. The Grizzly was a very nice machine. I only sold it because a minty Powermatic showed up locally - two in fact - after looking for one for years.
I moved all of these with an engine hoist. In some cases I just had the seller set it in my pickup bed (F350), then I removed it with an overhead chain hoist in the shop. Otherwise I would load up that engine hoist and take it out of the seller's location with that. It entailed removing the lathe from the stand or bench, lifting it off, then setting it down on the lift legs to roll it to the truck. Then back up and into the truck bed. Take some old tires or cardboard boxes to cushion it and keep it upright.
If I had to move one today I would probably try to rent a pair of Roll-Lifts and a drop-bed trailer.
Only used the pipe rollers once, to move a 3500-lb monster for a friend. Not fun. All my machines are on casters now.
Were I in your shoes today, ordering a new machine from Grizzly would be a very good option.
nessism

Post by nessism »

Thanks, Rex. Finally, someone that didn't say "boat anchor!"

It's looking like the wind is blowing the Central Machinery TD-1236E my way. I had a nice talk with the owner, who provided the history. It was bought new by a retired hobbiest, who used it little. After this gentleman passed away, the current owner acquired the machine, about 10 years ago. He's been using it to customize mini-motorcross bikes for junior riders. Boring out carburetors, stuff like that. Light duty.

Anyway, research suggests it's made by Tida. This particular unit is upscale within the family, in that it's got oil reservoirs in the apron and gearbox. I realize that it's not a heavy-duty machine, but that's okay with me. It's not crazy heavy, either.

The seller has some connections he's going to explore for me regarding moving the machine. Fingers crossed he can find some cheap help for this. That will likely seal the deal.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Looks like a good choice if the price is right. May or may not have parts commonality with Grizzly. HF is not good on support, even on current models.
If its working now then I would not worry about spare parts.
Comes with tooling?
nessism

Post by nessism »

Rex wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:46 pm Looks like a good choice if the price is right. May or may not have parts commonality with Grizzly. HF is not good on support, even on current models.
If its working now then I would not worry about spare parts.
Comes with tooling?
It comes with 3 & 4 jaw chucks, steady and follow rests, and some cutting tools. The price is listed as $2000, but the seller confirmed his flexibility.

This machine is the same as the Enco 110-2032, and various others. Hopefully parts won't be needed, otherwise I'll have a project on my hands.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Offer $1500 and load it up!
nessism

Post by nessism »

I bought the Central Machinery TD-1236E this morning. $1650, which isn't too bad for So. Calif. It comes 3 & 4 jaw chucks, steady and follow rests, a drill chuck, manual, change gears (in original package,) cover, manual, etc. It runs smooth and quiet, and I can't detect any bed wear. There is a placard on the back stating "flame hardend ways" or something to this effect. The only thing I noticed that wasn't near perfect is some lash in the cross-slide screw. I think this machine has some methodology to reduce lash, but the owner had no clue, and the manual doesn't say anything. I'll investigate. The motor had been serviced not too long ago, but the seller says he thinks it was okay, it just popped the circuit breaker, so his dad took it for service, regardless.

Next job, get it home. The seller said he could most likely move it for me, for $300, which I gladly accepted. This part is not in concrete, though. I'm thinking that a pickup will be enough to get it home, as long as it's removed from the stand. One way or another, it will happen.
Last edited by nessism on Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Congrats. Now the fun begins getting it situated in your shop, set up, and adjusted for operation.
Then the real fun begins!
RussN
nessism

Post by nessism »

I ordered a BXA Phase 2 tool post set. It comes with 5 holders and cost $350. About double that of cheaper unbranded China units. Maybe I over spent? I'm going to order more standard holders, only a cheaper brand. I also ordered some Mobile DTE Light oil. The owner kept up with oil changes, but used hydraulic oil. Not sure how much it matters, but what the heck?
nessism

Post by nessism »

20221210_161958.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is a good unit. You will need better set screws to clamp the tools. Get a box from a USA manufacturer

I get my holders from CDCO

wait for sales
Too many things going on to bother listing them.