Jet 1236 lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Jet 1236 lathe

Post by Bill Shields »

Check the bore of the pulley. Unless you can make an adapter, you may need a metric shaft motor.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Dan2006

Post by Dan2006 »

What size motor do I need to look for? HP 1 1/2 to 2,? And what RPM 1750?. I think I seen that somewhere, there is no book with the lathe?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

1-1/2 would be plenty and yes 1750 rpm.
www.chaski.com
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A quick internet search for "Jet 1236 lathe Specifications"
listed the motor as 2 H.P., 230Vac, single phase.
That sounds about right for the machine.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

My unit, with the original Chinese: 'SINGER PHASE MOTOR' (that is what is on the tag) -> dated 1979 is a 1 HP 1750 rpm / 120 or 230 VAC unit and has never caused me a problem by not having enough power.

In low gears, it has enough torque to move the original cross slide / compound up and down more than enough to make them unusable in heavy cuts ->, so I had to repair / replace / refit them.

No -> I do not use carbide tooling except in cases when working castings where abrasion is a major concern.
Dan2006

Post by Dan2006 »

Thanks for the help on the motor size, from everyone. I will get looking around, this weekend. Thanks again. I'll get it all cleaned up and take more pictures. I also found a steady rest, I think that's what they call it and some belt guards
Dan2006

Post by Dan2006 »

I need to add oil to the headstock. The chuck side is in the level of sight glass. The other side left side not in sight glass. Probably has a seal leak. Looks like there is no drain plug,. I'm not going to pull the sight glass out to drain. I'll probably break them. So I read SAE 20 wt. It's probably non detergent. Or should I use hydraulic oil 48 or 64?

Also the gear box below. I'll take pictures for that one, I found the fill, no drain or sight glass. I'll keep searching the net but info is scarce.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

If you have an air compressor get one of these. They work well for changing all sorts of fluids. I use it for brake master cylinders, power steering reservoirs, gear boxes with no drains, etc. And ya, on rare occasions brake bleeding.. :)
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 92924.html
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Dan2006 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:35 pm I need to add oil to the headstock. The chuck side is in the level of sight glass. The other side left side not in sight glass. Probably has a seal leak.
My 1236 seeps a bit from the left-hand headstock bearing and that sight glass is always near the “add oil” mark. I add oil and it promptly ends up in the headstock cavity. :D
Looks like there is no drain plug. I'm not going to pull the sight glass out to drain. I'll probably break them.
Probably a good idea. I have no idea where one would get parts like that.
So I read SAE 20 wt. It's probably non detergent. Or should I use hydraulic oil 48 or 64?
The 1236 manual tells you which oil to use. SAE 20 will work, IF it is non-detergent. Don't use detergent oil, because it will suspend particles that could eventually damage the spindle bearings.
Also the gear box below. I'll take pictures for that one, I found the fill, no drain or sight glass. I'll keep searching the net but info is scarce.
Unless you have a reason to suspect the oil is contaminated, there’s no compelling reason to drain and replace it. If you truly want to drain and refill the change gearbox, remove the top from it and use a turkey baster or similar to suck out the old oil.

As for the motor, the original is an Asian oddity that has no dimensional commonality with any North American motor. Good luck trying to find one! I ended up replacing the motor with a three-phase, NEMA 145T frame unit. I used two sheaves of different sizes to replace the OEM cone sheave, with a little machining on one of them to narrow it to get correct belt alignment.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The sight glasses are just a loose press fit with some sealant. They will prise out easily with a knife blade under the edge.

Once you find a motor, think on making an adapter sleeve to fit the pulleys
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Talk with your shop teacher about your lathe. He should be able to help you. Make any part you need in the shop while it is available. Do you have a micrometer? You should have one if you are going to do any machining. Even a cheap HF one is better than none at all. You can find a good used micrometer on Amazon or E-bay.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would bet that grizzly machines could have an imported motor that would have the correct frame and shaft