Cross-slide taper attachment thoughts

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dml66

Cross-slide taper attachment thoughts

Post by dml66 »

While pondering how to use a boring bar to cut an inside taper, I watched a few videos showing how the big machines do it, and came across a few DIY videos showing to roll your own. Figured I'd ask here if anyone has either bought or made one of these attachments?

Below are some examples of what I'm asking about. The general idea is to connect the taper attachment to the cross-slide, disconnect the cross-slide leadscrew drive, and use the compound slide to position the tool post. As the carriage is moved towards the chuck, the attachment guides the cross-slide at the desired angle to create a taper.

Here's one that's available from the UK, it seems to be a direct bolt-on for the Myford 7-series lathes:
lathe taper 2.jpg
lathe taper 2.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
This one is from India:
lathe taper 1.jpg
Bill Shields

Re: Cross-slide taper attachment thoughts

Post by Bill Shields »

I have them on all of my lathes for decades....came with them from factory...in one case back in the early 50s about the he time I was born.

Have used them once or twice in the 50+ cumulative years I have owned the lathes.

Very handy if and when you need them....and yes I did bore an internal taper with it. :mrgreen:

Getting the desired angle can be time consuming since you will most likely have to cut an OD taper on a piece of scrap to get the angle correct -> that is how I did it.

If you have a sample you can set the angle using a DTI.

Not much good for acute angles.

Adding on can be a chore. If anyone has a kit for it ..would be Myford.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.