Looking @ a Logan 820

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

timsch

Looking @ a Logan 820

Post by timsch »

I'm looking at a Logan 820, but can't find anything online about what these would go for, either in good condition, or in need of repair. The one I have a chance at has a worn cross slide and disabled back gears.

Any ballpark figures would be most appreciated.

Tim
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
Bill Shields

Re: Looking @ a Logan 820

Post by Bill Shields »

Boat ⚓
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

If it hs a QC box maybe $200 otherwise $50-100. It will expensive to fix those issues even with used parts of Ebay.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You will spend years searching for replacement parts, as they are not as popular as South Bend or Atlas.

On the other hand, if you can find a GOOD Logan, they are excellent lathes, in many ways better than South bend.

If I had my choice, I would go for a Logan, or better yet, a Sheldon.

Sheldon is the Rodney Dangerfield of lathes - it don't get no respect.

Steve
timsch

Post by timsch »

Thanks for the input. It's priced just below a grand. From this and my other thread on it, I should not even consider it.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Another warning sign on the lathe is that different parts are different colors, and not in a way that makes you think that the guy liked multi color paint schemes, like my dad's south bend in two shades of green plus yellow).

It looks like the machine may have been put together from more than one machine.
Logan820.jpg
Steve
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I’m a big fan of bargains. Fortunately, as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more discriminating and it’s saved me a lot of money and distress. Pass on this one.

Seems like all hobby hardware has become much more expensive with so many people having so much time at home the last year and a half but decent deals are out there. I recently got a 10 year old 11x26 Grizzly for half of what a new one would cost delivered. Keep looking!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

David2011 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:13 pm I’m a big fan of bargains. Fortunately, as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more discriminating and it’s saved me a lot of money and distress. Pass on this one.
I'm a cheapskate too, but at this point in my life, buying a lathe to make stuff makes more sense than buying a lathe to restore (unless, of course, I'm restoring lathes to sell, which is something I may do).

I've found a number of machines that made me say "If I was in my 20's, I'd grab that in a heartbeat", but that's when the number of heartbeats I had left were a lot greater.

Steve
David2011

Post by David2011 »

There is a very good looking "partially restored" 13x40 Clausing Colchester Model 8015 on Marketplace near me for only $2500. It's missing the cross slide, compound and tailstock. Finding them in decent condition could take a long time and be very costly. It's a shame. If it's otherwise as nice as it looks, it would make a good machine for someone.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

David2011 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:53 pm There is a very good looking "partially restored" 13x40 Clausing Colchester Model 8015 on Marketplace near me for only $2500. It's missing the cross slide, compound and tailstock. Finding them in decent condition could take a long time and be very costly. It's a shame. If it's otherwise as nice as it looks, it would make a good machine for someone.
When a machine is missing parts, that can be a big red flag.

The compound could have gotten damaged in a really serious crash.

Another issue is that may parts are scraped to each other, so buying one off ebay may not fit properly. For example, on a saddle, the saddle will be scraped to the ways, which might be fine for most lathes because only one side is on a V and the other is on a flat, but on a South Bend, both sides are on a V and if one is a few tenths or a thou wider than the other, they will not interchange.

For popular lathes like South Bend and Atlas, you can probably find the parts, but for Clausing Colchester? An ebay search, for "Clausing Colchester" and "13" gets 19 hits, while a search for "south bend" and 10 gets you more than 2,000 hits.

Steve