Slop in my cross slide

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

joshbloom

Slop in my cross slide

Post by joshbloom »

Hello Everybody,

I recently purchased a used Bolton 10x22 lathe and am trying to learn how to use it. Some of my early test cuts were producing a very rough finish and I noticed there is a lot of movement ~3mm towards or away from the operator in the cross slide. You can see the movement in this quick video https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... Ty4JcOdOpP
See post #4, below, for a functional link
So a few questions I'm hoping you more experienced machinists can help me with:
  • Is this normal or expected behavior?
  • If not, should I add some washers/spacers in the assembly near the hand wheel to stop this movement?
  • Do I need to lock the cross feed with the cross feed lever when I want to along the length of material (as opposed to the face)
  • Are there other ways to fix this?
  • Am I just completely misunderstanding something?
Thanks!
Josh
Bill Shields

Re: Slop in my cross slide

Post by Bill Shields »

Link is broken

Backlash in the screw is quite normal.

Snugging the cross feed is never a bad idea.

Rough finish can come from many different causes...not the least of which is that if you are cutting cold rolled steel...it is very difficult to get a good finish.

Do not panic and I not take your machine apart.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rmac

Post by rmac »

As Bill says, backlash is normal. But I think it's safe to say that 3 mm (almost 1/8") is more than you should expect. Let's get that link to the video working and then go from there.

-- Russell Mac
joshbloom

Post by joshbloom »

Thanks all, try this link it should work.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... R4RWVlZjRn
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah...ok...check that the handle nut is tight...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I suggest you dismantle the handle assembly to try to determine why there's so much slack. That juncture should NOT display any lateral movement. What you are experiencing is not related to backlash, which should be expected.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:15 pm Ah...ok...check that the handle nut is tight...
...Or that the wheel is fully in towards the cross slide, tightening the nut as Bill said should
bring the hand wheel in, it might be a jam nut set up or a set screw ( may be hidden under the dial )
depending on how it was designed.
Adjust the so the hand wheel doesn't bind.
joshbloom

Post by joshbloom »

Great, I’ll dig into the handle assembly and see what I can figure out, and update the thread with results.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Also it looks like the lathe is moving extensively on its table mount, or that table is that loose.
A solid mount is required for any kind of accuracy when machining.
RussN
joshbloom

Post by joshbloom »

Thanks Russ, I had the camera on a pretty flexible arm suctioned to the table so it was bouncing around alot while videoing (the lathe is bolted through a pretty hefty timber and into the cabinet legs below).

I made up a spacer for the handle you can see here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7448WpuapcDHbFVw8 (it's the black piece with the green arrow pointing to it) and that has taken out almost all the play.

Now I can get back to learning how more about how to use this thing :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Josh:
Nice solution with the spacer.
All the lathes I've worked with (12+) have a nut to adjust the slop away.
Interesting that your lathe apparently lacks that capability.

Go turn stuff and enjoy learning.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I took note that your cross slide is equipped with a ball thrust bearing. That's a nice feature, one that will permit you loading the screw so the only slack will be the backlash, which I highly recommend you do. It's simple to do. Just check the existing clearance with a feeler gauge, then add the amount to the spacer you made. It can be something as simple as shim stock, as it won't be doing anything once properly installed and loaded. There should be no clearance on that fitting, as it will permit the cross slide to wander unnecessarily. Alternately, make a new spacer of the proper thickness. I'd suggest one a half thou thicker than the existing space.

I'm assuming that the proper load will still permit the dial to be rotated for zeroing. If it won't, then my thoughts are likely not correct.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.