11" Rockwell Lathe Apron Handwheel Issue

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 11" Rockwell Lathe Apron Handwheel Issue

Post by Bill Shields »

Glad u found the problem. Often the solution is staring us in the face if we just look at long enough.

Question is how did it get bent? Overload is the obvious answer...I have seen people put large drills in the tool holder then really crank on the carriage hand feed.. :shock:

For QTCP

Aloris if you have $

Phase 3 stuff is good but the set screws are terrible...so purchase a box of USA made screws.

Shars and CDCO sell reasonable units.

I have several of each. The Aloris is 50+ years old. The others will also live that long.

Experience tells me that holders of the same size are interchangeable between different manufacturers...so you can purchase an Aloris BXA holder and get BXA holders from CDCO which will fit (and are much cheaper).

You can never have too many tool holders.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Import Aloris style ,size AXA should do it. Do spend a bit more and get the "wedge" style as they do work better than the piston style.
www.chaski.com
69eliminator

Post by 69eliminator »

I am guessing someone crashed the saddle into the spindle at some point and that is what bent the pin. I'll look to see what I can find Aloris wise.