Advice, on whether to return this lathe?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Flam98

Advice, on whether to return this lathe?

Post by Flam98 »

HELP….

Folks,

I am new to the hobby world and building out my machinery workshop etc. I recently bought an affordable (for me) mini lathe. The brand name is Vevor in Australia. It is a Chinese made unit, but I don’t know which area or factory in China that it comes from. Here's a link to it. https://www.vevor.com.au/metal-lathe-c_ ... 0100579461

I have had the machine a few days but unpacked it today and put it up on a temporary bench to go over what I might need to improve based on watching many YouTube videos.

After sitting the lathe in position I started to twist the dials and there seems to be a lot of ‘slop’ or ‘play’, play is the term I would feel is most comfortable. By play I mean the adjustment dial will rotate both clockwise and counter clockwise within an indiscriminate margin (sometimes a small amount, sometimes large) without the bed moving. This seems wrong to me. The last time I used a lathe was 20 years ago, so I am not 100% on what’s right to expect.

This ’play’ is not just with one dial, this is with all the dials on the machine (to a lesser or greater extent). I have taken 4 short videos that demonstrate what I am talking about.

https://youtu.be/ibISTpAFcfg
https://youtu.be/VbrEB7ew2fg
https://youtu.be/A7Bz6Y7xBzc
https://youtu.be/djMLq2h6bjc

While I was not expecting a marvel of perfection when I purchased this unit, it has to be accurate. I am afraid that the play in the machine that I can see is a bad sign, and I’d be wise to return the lathe for a refund if that is the right option. As you will see from the video’s I will post the delivery grease is still on the machine.

People here with more experience than me might say, don’t panic, a few adjustments will tighten everything, or “send it back it’s junk”. I bought to my budget and I did a respectful amount of research before buying, but I am worried now that even with all that research I’ve bought a dud.

I bought the lathe a week or so ago and I would be within my rights to return it if I can explain why it’s defective (if it is). I feel I lack the technical knowledge/language to speak to what is wrong with it and I would be grateful for comments and help with this.

I feel that if it is supposed to operate within a margin of tolerance that based on what I have seen it won’t do that without a lot of modification. I am happy to upgrade the machine with the type of upgrades that would extend it’s life, like swarf guards, measuring upgrades or ’upgrades’ that would help it operate better, but I do not want to have to spend time and money getting the machine to work within the tolerances advertised by the manufacturer.

Can anybody advise on if I should return the lathe, and for what reasons?

All advice is very appreciated.
Harold_V

Re: Advice, on whether to return this lathe?

Post by Harold_V »

Unless a machine is equipped with ball screws of high quality, no slide will be free of backlash (that's the term you're looking for) in the screws. It's a necessary evil which allows the screw to turn within the nut. If it had none, it wouldn't be functional.

Backlash in and of itself does NOT relate to the degree of precision a machine can provide. The finest of lathes, a Monarch EE, had backlash. How much isn't really a consideration, assuming the user is versed on how it should be addressed, which is by turning the handles in a constant direction when making settings. That direction is generally determined by how the cutting tool is loaded. Advancing the tool towards the load is the preferred method, so cutting pressure doesn't cause the given slide to move from cutting pressure during the cut. I make mention because the direction of the handle turn is generally opposite for boring operations as opposed to external operations.

A new machine should have a screw that has consistent backlash, regardless of the amount. If it varies according to position, it's a sign of an inferior screw, one that has either taper or has an inconsistent lead. In that case you might be justified in returning the machine. I suspect that isn't the case, however.

I do not "bad mouth" Chinese equipment. The Chinese have great ability to provide high quality, which has been well proven by their advancements in their country. They do, however, provide many items that are of questionable quality, but that is reflected in the price one pays. That's very much a part of the reason that small machines like the one you've chosen can be procured at an affordable price. Used within the parameters for which it is intended, it most likely will serve you well. However, I strongly suggest that you do not have false expectations. Under no circumstance will a light weight machine compete with one with great mass. A Monarch EE is a 12" lathe that weighs in the vicinity of 3,500 pounds.

I hope this is helpful.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Flam98

Post by Flam98 »

H,

Thanks for the reply, I am better informed because of it. I fully agree with what you've said on products made in China. I won't get into knocking them but I do accept there are and can be problems no matter what you're getting there, in that sense my eyes were open. If I find I am using the lathe a lot I can see myself moving to a better machine some day, so if that transpires, hopefully this machine will help me hone what I will look for in a new machine.

Best Regards

Flam
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I agree with Harold. You bought to a price point and that is what you got. You just might be happy with it once you get to using it. Some people upgrade but keep their first lathe. You may be one of them.

Richard W.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Fellow Aussie here, just use it and get used to the backlash.
High end Lathes have adjustment for backlash but is a constant task adjusting as the nut and spindle wear.
Surprised to see the large spindle with 38mm thru hole and mt 5 taper.
Happy machining!
Duder321

Post by Duder321 »

The carriage and handwheels on that machine look pretty similar to my older Grizzy G4000. What you show seems normal for the original state of the machine when I got it. You can do a couple things that will help it feel better.

1. Completely disassemble all the slides to clean them. You'll never be happy with how the machine feels nor with any adjustments you can make unless you get all of the gooey nasty crap and the grit and dust out from the nooks and crannies.

2. If you look at the end of the cross slide and compound handwheels, you'll see that there is a spanner nut and setscrew that you can used to adjust the preload on the leadscrew. This will reduce the backlash at the expense of accelerated wear. Once the machine is clean and properly lubed you'll likely be able to find the point where it feels best to you - a compromise between reducing some backlash and having it tight enough not to move on its own vs too tight and too much wear.

If you skip #1 and just do #2 you are probably going to chase your tail because the slide will never feel consistent as long as all that crud is in there.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the BIG QUESTION is:

Before you decide to return the lathe -> HOW MUCH $$ are you willing to spend on 'something better' ?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.