Clausing 6300 series Turret

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

LIALLEGHENY

Clausing 6300 series Turret

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I have a 6 position turret from a Clausing 6300 series lathe that came with a lot of tools I purchased. The owner apparently was rebuilding it and was making new "wedges" that lock the holders in the turret. He never finished them, as the concave pocket was never milled, but what I am questioning is what the set screw is for above the hole where the holders go? It goes directly in to the wedge. Is it to prevent the wedge, which is round , from turning when loosing the nut to insert a holder? Or is it just to retain the wedge? Should there be a flat milled on the wedge for the set screw, or a groove turned on the wedge?
Any thoughts? Or does anyone on this site have one of these turrets?

Nyle
Attachments
20220302_231547.jpg
20220302_231556.jpg
20220302_231616.jpg
Harold_V

Re: Clausing 6300 series Turret

Post by Harold_V »

Such turrets are generally provided sans the holes for tooling. The idea is for the holes to be created in situ, so they fall on the centerline of the machine on which the turret is intended to be used. In order for the hole to be generated, it is important that the stud be locked in position so it doesn't rotate while being machined. I suspect that the tapped hole in question is intended to be used accordingly.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Harold,

That would make sense, as the instruction manual ( a photocopy that is barely legible), does state that the turret was supplied with the holes rough bored at 7/8" diameter , to be finished bored to 1". So now I have a turret with the holes bored to 1" and a new set of wedges to be mated to the holes. This will be fun. Maybe I'll leave that for the future owner, as I do not have the lathe this fits on.

Nyle
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Well, I have a 6300 Lathe and didn't know they had a Turret for it
Bought mine from a gunsmith 25 years ago --good Lathe ! .
That is smart of you Nyle to leave it for the new owner, that way it will not have a centerline issue.
Rich

Just a comment , and No, I am not in the market for a Turret, have no need
RSG

Post by RSG »

I assume the set screw is to stop the locking pin from turning while trying to insert tooling there is another way to make the wedge piston. Mine has a two piece design with the top section having only a through hole and the bottom threaded. They both have a bevel machined on the top and bottom respectively along with a hole to accommodate a pin (see DD) to keep them aligned. This way you need not worry about lining it up on the lathe to bore them to accommodate the tooling if the holes haves already been bored. If not then you now have two options.

Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.