Seeking comment on G0602 as a starter lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Carlco

Seeking comment on G0602 as a starter lathe

Post by Carlco »

Recently acquired one with substantial amount of tooling, quick change tool post, 3 and 4 jaw chucks plus DRO. I think it may have been a school lathe. Wondering if anyone has rigged a power cross feed for one. Also any other ideas or input about them would be appreciated.
John Evans

Re: Seeking comment on G0602 as a starter lathe

Post by John Evans »

User davidhayes made up a system to powerfeed the compound on his lathe. Search under his user name.
www.chaski.com
rmac

Post by rmac »

John Evans wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:23 am User davidhayes made up a system to powerfeed the compound on his lathe. Search under his user name.
Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 2&t=110833
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Are you asking about powering the cross slide or the compound slide?

Since it does not appear that this model has power to the cross slide...so I am going to guess

Putting power to the cross slide is a major undertaking since there is no mechanism in the apron to grab the lead screw...which most likely does not have a keyway in it -> which is pretty much required to make this all happen.

External power is about the only viable option...but from a practical standpoint more cumbersome than hand feeding since you are most likely going to break a lot of tools.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
davidhayes

Post by davidhayes »

while the practicality of such a power feed on the cross slide can be questioned unless he is trying to get a better finish on face turning on certain projects. True it is not practical for normal turning, but, he might want to consider it for cutting tapers. As for tool breakage, there would be no difference than if his lathe had cross slide power feed. If you take note of my set up it is adjustable from 0 rpm up. I have mine set at about 10 rpm for cutting tapers and speed it up for reversing. As for the drive for the hand wheels he might want to consider using a 3/8 allen head bolt attached to a flat strip across the hand wheel. drill and insert bolt flush with bolt head, weld or solder cut off flush on back . instead of the ball and pin set up that I used and use a cut off 5/16 ball end allen wrench as a driver. with this set up you just pull the driver free if need be.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Are we talking cross slide or compound?

I am a bit confused regarding how power on the cross slide can be used to cut a taper....but then it is Kate in the day on Friday night and I am probably missing something.

Your compound slide set up is the bee's knees and totally useful.

Ever ram a cut off tool in too fast? This is why I expressed concern regarding tool breakage :mrgreen:

Every time I get in a hurry I end up back to ⬜ 1
davidhayes

Post by davidhayes »

Bill; MY apology. I did state; for face cutting! I'm sorry that I didn't specify using the compound for cutting tapers. I am a self taught home machinist,
so at times I might omit something or etc. Yes I have advanced the cut off in to fast manually. That is why I never use power feed for cutting off. scary!
I really would to hear from those that tried my set up and their critique. I hope every one's comments have been helpful for G0602
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

davidhayes wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:02 pm Yes I have advanced the cut off in to fast manually. That is why I never use power feed for cutting off. scary!
Contrary to commonly held belief, power parting is far better than manual feeding, assuming you have a sharp tool, properly aligned, and provide adequate lubrication to the cut. That's also assuming that you have chosen an acceptable feed rate. The advantage is that the tool maintains a constant load, so the chip evacuates without issue. Feed rate is often much faster than one imagines, which also helps eliminate chatter. All of this, of course, is best done on a reasonably rigid machine.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Carlco

Post by Carlco »

Thank y’all for all the replies on my request for input on the G0602. Especially for the link for the power feed workaround for the cross feed/ compound slide. Any other tweaks y’all find worthwhile would be appreciated as well. Carl
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I had a SB 9" model C for a while.. similar in that the only carriage feed was for threading.

I learned an awful lot by hand feeding...and changing gears without a gearbox..