Help Wiring Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Help Wiring Lathe

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. Interesting comment on the Monarchs. The shop in which I was trained had two of them, but I don't recall if they had the reverse switch, or not. I would assume that if they had the cam lock spindle, they would have had. The one thing I do recall is that they were geared very slowly, not made for the use of carbide. Killer rigid machines, they were.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Harold the Monarch's have helical gears and I don't think they were designed to run in reverse with the opposite thrust on the drive shafts, not sure, maybe someone can enlighten me.
There was a war going on so maximum production going forward!
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:37 pm I've been on machines since I was a young lad of 14. Worked in the industry as a machinist/toolmaker for 26 years. I can't imagine owning a lathe that couldn't be run in reverse.

H
This is one of the reasons I following more than what immediately interests me. I ran a lathe at about 14 but my career went in a different direction.
I've never run in reverse. I read about threading from the headstock out so you can thread to a shoulder. What else do you do?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Put a permanent cut off tool on the back side

Unscrew a tap from a hole

Unjam a drill :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Threading, without a dial!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pat1027 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:58 pm
Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:37 pm I've been on machines since I was a young lad of 14. Worked in the industry as a machinist/toolmaker for 26 years. I can't imagine owning a lathe that couldn't be run in reverse.

H
This is one of the reasons I following more than what immediately interests me. I ran a lathe at about 14 but my career went in a different direction.
I've never run in reverse. I read about threading from the headstock out so you can thread to a shoulder. What else do you do?
It's really unlimited. Anything you can do forward can often be done in reverse, when there's a benefit in doing so. One of them that is really useful is polishing. Running both directions allows polishing over an interrupted surface without excessively degrading the edge. Both edges share the degradation, however, it isn't eliminated.

Having reverse on a lathe is much like having a microwave oven. If you've never used one, you don't really miss it, but if you have and it is then taken from you, you miss it terribly.

Look at reverse on a lathe as an added feature that makes the machine far more useful. It does. You just have to understand when and how.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

Here is a video that learned me how to wire reversible motors to a drum switch.
It is a little slow... learning to draw the diagrams simplified everything for me.
Heck I drew the 6 dot pictures and wired a motor this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKXwXLEaXek

Oh yeah... in reverse a chuck could come unscrewed leave the general area of a lathe... be careful