Help Wiring Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

michael soibelman

Help Wiring Lathe

Post by michael soibelman »

Hello group. I'm new here so I hope you can help me to learn. I'm new to machining and have a lot to learn. Your experience(s) will be helpful to me.

A few years ago my father and brother were at an auction at our model live steam railroad club L.A.L.S
in Los Angeles and they bought a Sears Craftsman lathe. Well now I'm trying to get it running and I've cleaned it up thoroughly. It's in pretty good shape but I had to discard the wires and motor which was burnt out. I have a new motor and need help wiring it up. I ran new wires to the front panel on/off switch and need to wire the plug, reverse/forward switch and motor as well. Here's what I have.

The lathe is Craftsman (Atlas ?) Model 101-27430. The forward/reverse switch is a Furnas A14 drive controller. The motor is a Dayton 1/2 hp single phase capacitor start motor. I'm attaching pictures so you can see the relevant parts. So what I need is a diagram showing the power cord hooked to the on/off switch to the reverse/forward switch and to the (reversible) motor. As I've seen the reverse/forward switch in another thread here I hope you'll be familiar with that.

Thanks for your help.
Michael Soibelman
Switch
Switch
Motor schematic
Motor schematic
pat1027

Re: Help Wiring Lathe

Post by pat1027 »

The diagram on the motor is marked for double pole double throw switch but as it's drawn it looks like they are showing only a single rotation.

Being a lathe do you need it to reverse?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Poor diagram (common, unfortunately). The center off position is implied.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

In general reversing a single phase capacitor start motor is simply reversing the start winding. Most motors come with a connection diagram and identify two termination to swap to reverse the motor. The diagram on the motor is poor. If you go online with Grainger and get the data sheet on the motor it would be easy to identify the termination and sketch them up with a switch.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pat1027 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:16 am Being a lathe do you need it to reverse?
I've been on machines since I was a young lad of 14. Worked in the industry as a machinist/toolmaker for 26 years. I can't imagine owning a lathe that couldn't be run in reverse.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

How many sets of contacts are in the switch?

Two or three?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:37 pm
pat1027 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:16 am Being a lathe do you need it to reverse?
I've been on machines since I was a young lad of 14. Worked in the industry as a machinist/toolmaker for 26 years. I can't imagine owning a lathe that couldn't be run in reverse.

H
Just make sure the chuck won't spin off under load.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LouStule wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:10 pm

H
I'm fortunate to own an industrially rated machine. Cam lock spindle. I'm aware of the problem with threaded spindles. That's clearly why industry abandoned them back in the mid 20th. century. Reverse on a lathe isn't a luxury--it's pretty much mandatory if you hope to use the machine to its capacity.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:26 am
LouStule wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:10 pm

H
I'm fortunate to own an industrially rated machine. Cam lock spindle. I'm aware of the problem with threaded spindles. That's clearly why industry abandoned them back in the mid 20th. century. Reverse on a lathe isn't a luxury--it's pretty much mandatory if you hope to use the machine to its capacity.

H
Agreed, but I was actually directing the comment to the fella with the old Craftsman lathe. I have one similar and it does have a threaded spindle. I want to set it up for reverse but am leery for that reason. Thanks.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have been running lathes with thread in spindles in reverse for best part of 60 years and have never had a problem.

Granted I do not do heavy roughing in reverse, but never worry about a chuck coming off.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

My 1954 Dean Smith & Grace did not have reverse, had to fit reversing switch but that became obsolete fitting a VFD.
Had a fast lock spindle so no danger of chuck coming off in reverse.
Correct me if I'm wrong I don't think the war built Monarchs have reverse.