Lathe - Trying to figure out the model. help please

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

krokodila

Lathe - Trying to figure out the model. help please

Post by krokodila »

Hello!
I have a lathe that came in my position some time ago and I decided to use it, or at least try.
the problem is that the person that gave it to me has made some changes to it, and just gave it like that with some more pieces in a bag.

I work with wood and this is a metal lathe, in the spare pieces that he gave me I found an attachment,
IMG_20220204_201809.jpg
, that look's like it fits somewhere and replaces the "rest" of the tool from metal to wood. (I don't know how this piece is called).

I don't know what is the model or the brand of the lathe, there is a brand written to on of the parts that he gave me,
IMG_20220204_201827.jpg
, with but I don't know if its the brand of the lathe or somethin else.
I found a serial number or something like that written on the lathe
IMG_20220202_200521.jpg
The person that gave me said that it is German lathe but I don't know if this is true (and I cant ask him because he is not alive anymore).

So I'm trying to find out: 1.where can I attach this piece
2. any manual with the pieces of this machine, how to assemble and disassemble, if there is any.

Sorry for my English. And thank you for your time!
Attachments
IMG_20220204_201735 1.jpg
Bill Shields

Re: Lathe - Trying to figure out the model. help please

Post by Bill Shields »

Sold under a German name, built in Asia.

Not uncommon
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
bulgie

Post by bulgie »

I think it's an Emco, an Austrian brand. Much copied in Asia but AFAIK all Emco stuff was made in Austria. Not to be confused with Enco, a reseller of machines made mostly in Taiwan and China. I have an Enco, but I wish I had an Emco of the same size.

You have one part that says Emco, but of course that could be just one Emco part given to you with an Asian copy machine. But Emco did make lathes of that general shape, and they did paint them that color sometimes, so it could be an Emco.

I'm no expert, never owned one, but I did work on one at a place of employment over 40 years ago. My memories are vague and unreliable though so don't take my word on any of this.

They have a reputation for being fairly high-quality for what they are, namely a machine for hobbyists and low-volume light-duty commercial work. They also made larger industrial machines, including CNC machining centers, but yours is of the hobby variety.

One place to try for more info is lathes.co.uk, like maybe this one? http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page3.html
Oops I just read there, "The Unimat 4 and Compact 8E ("E" for East) were made in China." so I take back what I said about them *all* being made in Austria. But most were.

Spare parts for Emco lathes do turn up, such as on ebay, but tend to be expensive. If you decide not to refurb this one, maybe you can part it out and make some cash on ebay. Maximizing your return is a lot of work. Researching/documenting, cleaning, photographing, write-up, packaging/shipping, dealing with flakes etc. But maybe someone will take the whole pile off your hands as-is.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

-Mark
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Yeah, it's a Emco. My first though was that it a Emco PC Turn with the CNC steppers removed. But looking around it seems to be the manual version of the Emco Compact 5, missing several parts (chip pan, milling head) with a bodged on replacement front control panel.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes it is Emco ....sorry..missed that.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
krokodila

Post by krokodila »

Yes I think you are right! its Emco Compact 5 for all is can see! thank you very much! looks like a very nice and good machine for a hobbyist... Its a same that it's in that condition.. :( I wish I had more parts. Thank you all! you helped me a lot! I\m sad because for me now the best thing to do is to sell it like this and take just a cheap wood lathe. I wish I had the time, and money, to make it like it use to be!
Anyway if I find a way to make it work with wood, for now, maybe I'll give it a try! I'll let you know!
Thanks again for everything!