DRO for Rockwell 11" lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JoeVolcano

DRO for Rockwell 11" lathe

Post by JoeVolcano »

Has anyone put a DRO on a Rockwell 11" metal lathe? The long direction looks relatively easy but the other direction could be challenging. If anyone has - can you post pics?

Thank you!
-- JoeVolcano
Bill Shields

Re: DRO for Rockwell 11" lathe

Post by Bill Shields »

Cross slides are a challenge. I used the dro pro magnetic scales which are quite thin.

Look to their www site for examples of how to proceed.

There are several examples of lathes the size of what you describe.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JoeVolcano

Post by JoeVolcano »

Thank you Bill.
-- JoeVolcano
pete

Post by pete »

I can't help with that specific lathe, but have you already bought the dro? If not it's worth being aware and even more so with magnetic scales about having a higher accuracy scale on the cross slide is helpful. To use Newall as an example, there standard Spherosyn scales have + - .0004" accuracy with .0005" & .0002" selectable resolution, while there much smaller Microsyn scales can be ordered with either + - .0004" or .0002" accuracy and allow resolutions from .0005" down to .00005". In there case I'd want the smaller and more accurate scale on the cross slide for ease of mounting and the better accuracy. So if the same is available on whatever brand your buying, that's worth considering. Most displays today should allow it, but I'd also want a lathe specific dro that allows either the part reduction as your cutting to be shown as diameter or radius. And that's where the higher accuracy scales also help. Just remember that the display resolution IS NOT the dro systems accuracy. You have to know and understand the difference between resolution and accuracy because there certainly not the same thing. There's a bit more to even ordering a dro than most seem to think before you get to the mounting part. There's also a few dro's now that use magnetic tape and very small reader heads that can be mounted inside the cross slide with a bit of additional machining that make it a whole lot easier to both mount and protect the scale and reader head. So there worth researching.

As you mentioned the longitudinal travel is pretty simple and straight forward. Most lathes and certainly the older one's were never designed to make mounting a dro with conventional scales on the cross slide easy. I've seen a few mounted on Youtube with the scale and reader head on the cross slide face closest to the head stock. A real poor choice in my opinion because your reducing how close the carriage can get to larger diameter work pieces and then it's only how long and not if you damage the scale and reader head. The other side of the cross slide presents problems of almost always being in the way of your gib adjusters unless you have a tapered gib set up. On mine the carriage lock is also right in the way.
JoeVolcano

Post by JoeVolcano »

Thanks for the info! I have not purchased yet. The DRO PRO looks good (and its a bit pricey), I have to take a look at the lathe to ensure this will be mountable on my castings.

Thanks for the tip on accuracy - my dials are in radius, not diameter so I would want to continue that - just for consistency. I've taken a look at the videos on the DRO Pro site - they are helpful - but they also show mounting on a lathe with a flat back!

Still researching - any tips and wisdom would be and is welcomed.

Thank you,

G
-- JoeVolcano
NP317

Post by NP317 »

For my 14-40 Grizzly G0709 lathe. I installed a Grizzly DRO system that uses glass scales.
I mounted the cross slide scale on the right side of the carriage to keep it away from the headstock.
Yes, it takes some room but has never interfered with my required machining, or lubricating the cross slides.

I selected the more "course" DRO scaling, because that matches the actual capabilities of the machine.
And I can still machine axles for consistent press fits into reamed wheel mount holes.
So far it has all been the correct choices.
RussN
JoeVolcano

Post by JoeVolcano »

@Bill - can you post pictures of your DRO mounting on the cross slide/carriage? Would be helpful to see how you set yours up.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff
-- JoeVolcano
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

my installation is shown on the dropros www site

https://www.dropros.com/Digital_Readout ... lation.htm

installation #34 (close to bottom).

mine was complicated by having a taper attachment...which required (or was made easier) by my removing the cast 'tail' and replacing it with a machined tail. this allowed me to put the scale out of the way of the tailstock....which is important on the SB since the tail has such a short travel.

You might also find the tooling that I created to locate and drill the holes for the long axis, using the ways as a reference.

nothing fancy, but it worked...and I have loaned the tools out to a couple of people who have used them.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.