Purchasing a Hendey Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

skipd1

Purchasing a Hendey Lathe

Post by skipd1 »

I am looking at buying a 12x30 18 speed Hendey lathe. The machine is suppose to be in running order and has a taper attachment and VFD with it. It has a D1-6 spindle. Are there any special concerns that I should have when evaluating this machine? It is a beast and weights about 3000lbs so I don't want to haul it home and wrestle with it if there are some fatal flaws in the design. 
I have done some due diligence and found info on Vintage Machinary and read some forum articles. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
skipd1
Glenn Brooks

Re: Purchasing a Hendey Lathe

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hensley are beautiful early century machines. The biggest issue, like any old machine, is the extent of wear along the bed. They were made with soft castings, e.g. not flame hardened beds. So the possibility exists the bed is worn beyond all but the most heroic repair effort. Put a straight edge along the bed and shine a flashlight behind. If you see a noticeable sliver of light, sometimes in several spots, you’ll know the machine has experience heavy use over its lifetime. Also remember every part of the machine wears the same as the bed.Wear on the bottom of the tail stock is a perfect example. If you can feel a ridge or grove on bottom of the tail stock, that indicates the bed likely will be significantly worn out of true- a sure sign to walk away.

If you find significant wear you’ll have to decide if you want to end up with poor precision and
Fight misshapen parts every time you turn a piece of work. If you find this is the rare machine that has been in private hands all its life, then you might have a gem- well worth owning!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Same concerns regarding a lathe that old. Had hendy here and while it was a beast...it was an inaccurate beast
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Like everyone else already mentioned wear and condition. But if you do end up buying it? Any more detailed questions would probably get the best answers over on the PM Antiques forum, https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/a ... d-history/ one of the members there has the user name of Hendeyman and I believe has a lot of original factory information. From everything I've read that he's posted, he's certainly the most knowledgeable about Hendey lathes.

Edit, never mind I see you already posted the same question on PM and it was moved to that Antiques forum.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I love the old gear heads, and Hendey are right in there. However, for me, most simply can't run fast enough. They were built for carbon steel and hss bit speeds in steel and CI, so if you are turning smaller diameters, aluminum, want to use inserts, etc. that can be an issue.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
skipd1

Post by skipd1 »

Well thanks for all the great comments, there greatly appreciated.
     It looks like I am going to get to inspect and possibly purchase the 18 speed 12x30 Hendey I have referred to sometime around the end of this month. I have some experience inspecting machine tools, and will bring the appropriate measuring tools to inspect the lathe's accuracy and condition. I just don't have any particular first hand knowledge of this machine. I know enough to take off the headstock and gear case covers and inspect the gearing and try to determine if the spindle bearings are okay. I just would like some advise from people who are familiar with this particular machine as to any specific areas or items I should be aware of. I do not have the actual serial number, but the current owner said its between 2900-3000. He gave the actual number to Hendeyman but I think this series had some records lost?? Anyway the owner is away from the lathe so he can't give me the actual number.

​​​​​​​Any help is greatly appreciated

skipd1
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You cannot tell much about the bearings without a complete disassembly...unless you find the head full of shredded gears ..or it sounds crunchy when running.

Be more concerned about the condition of the ways...particularly in the area just in front of the chuck area where you would expect to see wear.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.