Quick change tool post

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

martin jensen

Quick change tool post

Post by martin jensen »

hi
i have an Italian fap lathe,14x40 5hp L00 spindle, running at max 1200 rpm.and vith 10" chuck.
lookin at getting an quick change tool post , Aloris style but the center height of the lathe is in the middle range of an BXA and CXA ,
in the BXA I can use 16mm shank tools but in the CXA I wod have to modyfie the tool holders to get center height right with 20mm shank tools,
cud of cause use 16mm tools in the CXA but if only running 16mm tools is ther any reason to bye CXA as the holders ar more expensive,
and will the 16mm tools and BXA be enuf to handle the 5hp of the machine
Harold_V

Re: Quick change tool post

Post by Harold_V »

It would be exceedingly rare that you'd have need for greater strength than that provided by 16mm (5/8") tools. It's really up to you to make the proper decision, but you have little to worry about in regards to the power of your lathe as it relates to cutting tools. You'll seldom use the full power of your machine unless you're engaged in large work in steel alloys.

The one consideration is that the ability to hold larger tools opens the door to a greater variety. I am restricted to ½" shanks, so my options are drastically limited. Size has never been a problem with strength, and my lathe has a 3 horse motor (an Italian Graziano Sag 12).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

The ability to hold larger tools, as stated by op, is negated since the cxa puts a taller tool above cl.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

So you go with the bxa size

You will rip the tip off of a tool before you bend the shank
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

whateg0 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:35 pm The ability to hold larger tools, as stated by op, is negated since the cxa puts a taller tool above cl.
Thanks. I apparently forgot that part while I was preparing my response. In re-reading I realize he made mention of having to alter shanks should he make that decision. Bottom line is that one need not worry about breaking tool shanks with a five horse motor on that size lathe. What Bill said is the chief concern---you're far more likely to destroy the tool tip and seat than to break the shank.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

I have a Aloris BXA on a similar size machine but 7.5hp. I had the work come out once, it broke the scroll plate in the chuck and snapped the the tool post center bolt. The tool was fine, tip broke and my blood pressure hit an all time high. So i would say 5/8 are fine.
www.northernsteam.com
martin jensen

Post by martin jensen »

super
will go with the BXA