Parting off in a lathe - Part 2

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KellyJones

Parting off in a lathe - Part 2

Post by KellyJones »

First, many thanks to all those who contributed to this discussion last time.

I thought I would update the group on my progress. I am working on a project that requires me to part off about 20 parts. As a result, I am getting a lot of practice.

I have graduated to parting off in aluminum at recommended surface speed. This morning, I finally got up the courage to engage the power feed as well. I finally understood what Harold was trying to tell me about keeping a nice curling chip during the parting process. I must still have the wrong feed rate because the cuts are not quite as nice as when I hand fed and watched the chips, like Harold suggested. But the good news is that it seems to be working.

(I'm not sure if I told everyone that my reticence about parting came from the first time I attempted to part off and got a face full of shattered tool...once bitten, twice shy)
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)