Lathe table build

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jerry_H

Re: Lathe table build

Post by Jerry_H »

Easier to put the neoprene pads on now than when the lathe is mounted.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Finally got the table painted and set in place. The neoprene pads seem to be a good investment. I secured them to the feet with countersunk, flat head machine screws.

BTW, Iam real happy with the Sherwin Williams industrial grade Metal Etch paint. You can apply directly to clean steel, but I typically apply two S&W Metal undercoats and then two top coats. The undercoat has proven to be very durable stiff. And, this top coat formula dries to an extremely chip and scratch resistant finish. The color is “Hummimgbird green”. Sort of half way between (dull) olive drab and (bright) traffic green. Used it because I had an ‘experimental’ quart on hand. That is to say the color was/is experimental. But it’s fast becoming my ‘official’ shop Color. Seems to have a real big iron machinery tone and hue to it!
261B22D1-59E9-43C2-AA70-357018AAA374.jpeg
56AFA9EC-0D4D-45A2-A4F5-9B9EB0E7FA5F.jpeg
FAB20582-902A-478F-AC97-14E09DC54B32.jpeg
392A9301-4150-46FA-8A6F-4ABAF7821DD7.jpeg
Finished the table top also, with 4 coats of teak oil and two coats marine varnish. One should always coat top and bottom, to equalize moisture absorption and help stabilize movement of the top. Definitely old school, but looks nice.
7DA18FF9-7BA6-4BF3-A5C4-8B77210863FD.jpeg
6AC7A9C2-9086-4595-8C80-B1D5CEF9F6C4.jpeg
Next step, make up some drawers and install a teak front piece to the top of frame. Then bolt down and level the top and mount the lathe. So far, don’t see a need to secure the table to the floor with cement anchors. Welded on the fittings originally, but so far they don’t appear to be needed.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The lathe table looks great Glenn, I love the color and the super shiny wood top. Will be a shame to scratch that up with metal shavings!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Earlgo, your comments about bracing were spot on. The vibration in the bench before and after was actually like night and day. Even with the heavy, industrial grade tubing. I’d do it again in a heart beat, for the next table.

Spro, yes indeed, I’ve been on the lookout for a couple of more baking pans. Unobtainium, almost, These days. Yep, Iam looking forward to trying out the SB. It turns smooth as silk.

Hope tompost a few more pics once the lathe decided to get into it final position on the table top. 1500 year old wood top, 100 year old lathe. Nice combination.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

RSG

Post by RSG »

Looks good Glenn! Lets see pics with the lathe mounted 8)
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Your table looks great Glenn. Glad the years of secondary education and 48 years rowing a corporate galley FINALLY helped someone. :lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Your stand looks plenty strong, but needs the cross bracing as noted by others. That lathe doesn't weigh all that much, maybe 350# or so? I would turn the bolts upside down and thread them from the bottom, up. Better yet, get commercial feet made for that purpose and place them inside the tube, not on the outside.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Working on a varnished African Sapele hardwood backplate and end pieces, then will post up a pic or two with the lathe mounted on top. Takes extra time when you’re watching paint dry, in this case, varnish - drying. Sapele has a beautiful grain similar to teak, and takes the varnish quite nicely.

Mr. Ron, I tried adjusting the bolts and they worked out pretty well as is. So, think I will leave the set up as is, unless something untold occurs. Plus, it’s time to try to knock out an electric loco conversion. So time to wrap it up and shift gears. Looks simple, but....doesn’t it always...

Glenn

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

This thing is going to end up looking too good to be having chips and oil flying all over it. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
pete

Post by pete »

African Sapele? Your bench top already makes my laminated 1 1/2" MDF look like what it is, wood butchery at best if I was being really generous. But yours came out beautiful.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

We need to remember that Glenn used to work on sailboats. That can explain his love of fine woods.
Nice going Glenn! I'm with you there.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks guys, for the kind words. I just have a bunch of sapele left over from my old Alberg 30 restore. Sort of sitting outside in the rain next to my treasure pile of junkyard steel. Cleans up pretty well, though. Sometimes I do miss the old sailing days.
25B69A96-3BF9-4C6C-B86E-031835DFEC8C.png