Logan 925, I think

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TheSandman

Logan 925, I think

Post by TheSandman »

New here and looking for some help. I bought a 1955 Logan but I think I got a 925. I bought a manual ($17.50 plus $8 shipping) for 1955 and it's definitely not that. From what I can determine it's a 925 built in 1951. There isn't any plate on lathe that shows speeds or gears needed and threading info. It has a three position flat belt. I also need lubrication info. I can't find a manual for this. A parts manual is available. Thanks for any help.
NP317

Re: Logan 925, I think

Post by NP317 »

Sandman:
To assist you in getting information, I suggest you add your location, your name, and post pictures of your machine.
That will assist getting the responses you request.
And Welcome to the Chaski Forums.
RussN
pete

Post by pete »

This might help with identification? http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/index.html Logan afaik is still in business and maybe a manual might still be available?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You want to go to lathe.com, the Logan Web site.

Go to http://www.lathe.com/models.htm to identify your machine. https://store.lathe.com/pl-11.html seems to be parts list and instructions for the 925. Also try emailing Scot Logan.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Put a location in your profile so that we know where you are.

Look at:
vintangemachinery.org
and you will find all sorts of catalogs you can use to verify your lathe.

You might even find a manual.

Steve
TheSandman

Post by TheSandman »

Thanks guys. I have a plate and manual on the way. What are you guys using for flat belts? I just got my splash guard made. 1/4" aluminum diamond plate $155. Should help lighting. I still need a 4 jaw chuck and a VFD. That should get me close. I'm going to try making a spider. Hopefully I won't have to drop a bundle on tooling. I'm in mid michigan. Don't know how to enter it. OK got it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There are people that will make you a new belt using rubber / fabric composite that will outperform leather belts. Downside is that on a leather belt, you will slip and perhaps cause less damage. Depending on where you think you are with your ability, you may want to stick with a leather one for a while.

You can use an automotive serpentine belt, but you have to completely dismantle the spindle and the drive pulleys to get it on.

The custom belts will be cut to the proper length and have the metal loops and pin to hold it together.

If you do have a 925, then you will be looking for a chuck (or at least a backplate ) with 2-1/4x8 threads. I think those are common with South Bend heavy 10's.

You can look for a chuck with a backplate already on that has that thread, or find a backplate of that thread and find a chuck with no backplate (or a different one you can take off).

Steve
TheSandman

Post by TheSandman »

Pretty sure it's a 925 cabinet model. I have a eight inch three jaw chuck that seems big for lathe. Also have a dog plate that might make back for chuck. I got a piece of aluminum diamond plate bent up for a back splash, $150. I need a good book on lathe operation. Thanks everyone for your help.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

TheSandman wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 am I need a good book on lathe operation.
More machinist probably got started with "How to Run a Lathe" by South Bend than any other book.

You can pick up a copy on ebay, and some older copies are available on the web (try vintagemachinery.org).

That book will cover all the basics.

The navy's machinery repair manual is a good book as well, and you can download a copy for free.

The starrett book for student machinists is also a good starter book.

I have a 2 volume set that I think is called machine shop practice or modern machine shop practice and that was very good as well. This is not the Joshua Rose book from 100 years ago, but that is a very good book as well.

Tom Lipton's books have a lot of tips in there (get the later of the two) and Machine Shop Trade Secrets was another good one.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Understanding you need good reference books is a great start. YouTube can teach a lot, but in no way is it a replacement for those reference books. You first have to know enough before YT videos can start to help fill in the blanks.The South Bend How to run a Lathe is good, until I found what Hercus produced as there version for there licensed copies of the South Bend Lathes. I hope this PDF link works, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... h_y0EdF1fO

If that doesn't work? Then run a Google search for it's title, Text Book of Turning by Hercus. Imo easily 10X better and far more detailed than the HTRAL book. I'd still try and find & buy hard copies of both the South Bend and Hercus books though. Unfortunately lathe use and machining anything with one isn't and will never be found in a single source. I've been learning for roughly 40+ years and I'm still learning. The one I have learned the most from after you've got the basic's figured out would be this one. https://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/i ... op-manual/ and ordered from there as it will be much cheaper than any of the North American re-sellers want for the exact same thing. Written mostly for and about the Myford Super 7 lathe users, it still explains more about the "why" something might be done than any other machining book I know of. A fair amount of it is about some complex machining processes so it's not something you read once and forget about it. I still flip through my copy today.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Also look for US Army TC 9-524 "FUNDAMENTALS OF MACHINE TOOLS" and US Navy NAVEDTRA 12204-A "Machinery Repairman". Being US Government publications these are in the public domain and should be easy to find on the Web. Both were published in the 1990s.
TheSandman

Post by TheSandman »

Well I have "Metal Turning Lathes" by E T Westbury and "Lathe Operations and Machinest Tables" by Atlas to k keep me busy for awhile. I will try to get a copy of the mentioned books soon. The ones I got are pretty dated but still newer than my lathe so alot of it should pertain directly to it.