Estimating chuck speeds

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

LouStule

Estimating chuck speeds

Post by LouStule »

I put a small yellow dot sticker on my lathe chuck and then used a tachometer app on my Iphone to estimate the chuck speed. I'm not convinced that the results were all that accurate. I don't have a belt/speed chart for my lathe. Are there any good methods to figure out how fast your lathe is spinning? Thanks.
tornitore45

Re: Estimating chuck speeds

Post by tornitore45 »

Look at the Motor Nameplate it shows the RPM most likely 95% x Line frequency X 60 / No of Pole pairs (either 1 or 2)
Typically 1750 RPM

Then measure the pulley Dimeters or gear ratios.

Try a reflective sticker possibly on all jaws
An unsophisticated app may get confused by the flicker of the jaws and count Jaws/minutes instead of RPM or be so crappy to just dream up some number since crappy software is the rule rather than the exception.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

LouStule wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:51 pm I put a small yellow dot sticker on my lathe chuck and then used a tachometer app on my Iphone to estimate the chuck speed. I'm not convinced that the results were all that accurate. I don't have a belt/speed chart for my lathe. Are there any good methods to figure out how fast your lathe is spinning? Thanks.
Put a piece of 2" black pipe or similar in the chuck. Put the sticker on that.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

The app is basically a strobe light that you adjust with a slider until the rotating dot appears stationary and then the app displays the speed. Maybe I should borrow my buddies real strobe light and see if I can make my own belt/speed chart.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:09 pm
LouStule wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:51 pm I put a small yellow dot sticker on my lathe chuck and then used a tachometer app on my Iphone to estimate the chuck speed. I'm not convinced that the results were all that accurate. I don't have a belt/speed chart for my lathe. Are there any good methods to figure out how fast your lathe is spinning? Thanks.
Put a piece of 2" black pipe or similar in the chuck. Put the sticker on that.
Good idea!
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Welll according to the pictures you posted of your lathe in the other thread you HAVE a speed chart!! With standard pulley setup those lathes went from 28 to 2000 spindle RPMs. 2 ranges of motor to countershaft and 4 on the spindle plus backgear.
www.chaski.com
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

A strobe light can give harmonic results. The dot is steady at the RPM but also at 2 X RPM
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

20 Bucks on Ebay, LCD display with a magnet and sensor.
Use this on my Lathes and Mill, all have VFD'S.
Easy.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

John Evans wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:06 pm Welll according to the pictures you posted of your lathe in the other thread you HAVE a speed chart!! With standard pulley setup those lathes went from 28 to 2000 spindle RPMs. 2 ranges of motor to countershaft and 4 on the spindle plus backgear.
Are you sure you are looking at my lathe? I don't see it anywhere. Plus, I want to verify the chuck speed at different belt/pully arrangements. Thanks.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

armscor 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am 20 Bucks on Ebay, LCD display with a magnet and sensor.
Easy.
I found it. It looks like a perfect solution. Thanks!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

LouStule wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:41 pm
armscor 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 am 20 Bucks on Ebay, LCD display with a magnet and sensor.
Easy.
I found it. It looks like a perfect solution. Thanks!
Found what? Do you have a link?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I think the search term is

hall tachometer

and a quick demo (there is another yootoob video showing a complete install on a mill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFuz_HkO8M
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...