Please HELP with drum switch wiring!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Sharmack

Please HELP with drum switch wiring!

Post by Sharmack »

Hello all!
I’m new and glad to be here. I recently acquired a 6” Craftsman 101 lathe and have spent a few weeks cleaning it up and hoping to use it soon. Unfortunately, I hit a brick wall when it came to wiring the reversing drum switch for the motor. The motor itself has 1 red wire that is plugged into “T2” on the board inside the motor and 1 black wire that is connected to “T5” on the board. There are also 2 leads which appear to be the power wires labeled T1 and T4. I’ve tried everything I can possibly think of and I think I can get the red and black leads to “swap” via the drum but am at a loss on how to run the power through it as well. I’ve tried. I have really tried. If anyone at all can please help me I would sooooo appreciate it. This is pretty much my last shot. I’m going to attempt to upload diagrams from the switch and motor and hope someone can tell me what I need to do.
Thank you so much
Chris
Attachments
23F56D86-48B6-4CDD-A44E-C53A7A9F1534.jpeg
D0F811FA-438F-4332-B6B2-2658FA291B8E.jpeg
442C1389-E776-40E0-A144-213E545ED7EA.jpeg
3034C239-6332-463E-9476-6CA74BF2A0BE.jpeg
John Evans

Re: Please HELP with drum switch wiring!

Post by John Evans »

Looking at the motor plate I don't think that motor can be reversed .
www.chaski.com
Sharmack

Post by Sharmack »

Hello John-
Thanks for the reply. Even though it says “to reverse rotation interchange red and black leads”?

Thanks
Chris
spro

Post by spro »

I expect many of us have wired a split phase motor by using a DPDT toggle switch. It doesn't even need a drum switch because it is flipping two wires. Drum switches are modified sometimes with wiring that connect differently than that motor requires.
Sharmack

Post by Sharmack »

Spro-
I see your point and I have considered that. This was just my last ditch effort at seeing if by chance what I already have could be made to work. Looking like this may not be possible without an external on/off switch or as you stated using a on/off switch in conjunction with a dpdt toggle. Thanks for the response!
Chris
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Sharmack wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:22 pm Hello John-
Thanks for the reply. Even though it says “to reverse rotation interchange red and black leads”?

Thanks
Chris
Yes on a closer look I can make that out. Not much of an electrician here, I have smart friends that are good at that. In theory you should be able to use the drum switch ,but with the threaded spindle that lathe has you really don't want to run it in reverse.
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My lathe has a threaded spindle and I run it in reverse a lot, usually without a problem. One chuck has a grub screw to lock it but I haven't tightened it in years. I just pull the chuck tight.
I use reverse a lot, especially for threading.
If that drum switch has 3 positions, it has to be on-off-on, and must be made to reverse the lathe.
I can't figure it out from here, hopefully someone can.
spro

Post by spro »

I used a H.D. toggle because I didn't have drum switch laying around. The information / emblems of both the motor and that drum switch makes it easy. It's just not easy for me right now. I should note that thermal cutoff.. Warning says it can restart at any time but the drum switch has center off position like my toggle.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

The line in on that will go straight through the switch, as once it's running, it doesn't matter which way, they go. To reverse it, though, you'll need to swap which line the red and black wires are fed from. You'll have to check to confirm, but the black and red probably come directly off of the connections to line voltage now. Feeding them from the reversing leads on the drum switch will reverse the rotation. Of course, you do have to let the motor come to a stop before reversing because otherwise the start windings will never be energized and the motor will just continue to spin in the direction it's already going.

Dave
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Sharmack wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:22 pm Hello John-
John Evans wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:46 am
In theory you should be able to use the drum switch ,but with the threaded spindle that lathe has you really don't want to run it in reverse.
I was thinking the same thing. You can spin your chuck right off.