Purchase or Convert CNC Lathe??

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

aaronthemeche

Purchase or Convert CNC Lathe??

Post by aaronthemeche »

I would like to get a CNC lathe for my shop. Right now, I'm leaning toward purchasing a PM-1030V for $2400+ and converting it to a CNC lathe with a servo controlled spindle because I really want position and velocity control of the work piece. However, by time I spend the extra $2,000+ on the conversion, is there another (potentially better) CNC lathe in that price range ($5,000-$7000) that I could just buy?

Also, with regards to the servo spindle that I want, has anybody had any success with this conversion? My main concern is the belt being able to hold the spindle rigidly with position control.

I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Aaron
whateg0

Re: Purchase or Convert CNC Lathe??

Post by whateg0 »

I've seen some older lathes go for less than that because the controller wasn't supported anymore. Like any used machine, the amount of wear would need to be taken into consideration. But, I have purchased (barely) a mill like that and added my own controller, using the existing motors, screws, etc. IMO, way easier than doing the work of converting all of it to ball screws and adding motors. There are still compromises to be made, of course. One downside for some is the fact that most commercial machines are going to be 3-phase. But that's also the reason so much of that stuff goes dirt cheap.

Dave
aaronthemeche

Post by aaronthemeche »

whateg0 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:42 am I've seen some older lathes go for less than that because the controller wasn't supported anymore. Like any used machine, the amount of wear would need to be taken into consideration. But, I have purchased (barely) a mill like that and added my own controller, using the existing motors, screws, etc. IMO, way easier than doing the work of converting all of it to ball screws and adding motors. There are still compromises to be made, of course. One downside for some is the fact that most commercial machines are going to be 3-phase. But that's also the reason so much of that stuff goes dirt cheap.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. Was it difficult to switch out the controller? With the conversion, I would be purchasing motors along with their controllers so I know they are compatible. It seems like a good option though.
Is there a favorite older CNC lathe that work well hobbyist?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

No idea on a brand that works well for it. Motors could be swapped out pretty easy, but if you find the right machine, you can find controllers that will run the motors. Lots of give and take, compromise, etc. Not sure what your budget is, either. There's a local machine, or was a couple weeks ago at least, that needs a controller rebuilt. He wants somewhere around $10k for it, though. And I'd say it's easily more than a hobby machine. I have seen some smaller machines go for much less, though. Lots of being in the right place at the right time, too. Might watch some of the machinery auctions. Bidspotter, and gov deals, or whatever it is. Just don't outbid me if you see me there! LOL

Dave
aaronthemeche

Post by aaronthemeche »

Thanks for your input. You've given me a lot to think about because I was leaning toward a CNC conversion. I think I'll spend some time shopping around and getting a feel for the used machine market. Don't worry, I won't outbid you :)