NEWLY-ACQUIRED JET 1236PS

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: NEWLY-ACQUIRED JET 1236PS

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:19 pm One may also be able to insert a thin sleeve, depending on the remaining material. Picture?
No photo. The plate is thick enough that I can bulldoze the existing register and machine a new one.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My crossfeed dial is the same; I didn't know some were different.
Even though I should be used to it by now, sometimes I still make errors, and forget to multiply the indicated cut x2.
I often use the compound dial to indicate face cuts / bore depth. Of course those readings should not be multiplied x2.

AARRGGG!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

oh...yes...some are different.

I have 3 lathes in the basement...two have cross feed dials of one style...the other is different.

arrrrgggghhhh is appropriate
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

All of the lathes I have been involved in purchasing in the past 40 years (10 of them) marked the cross feed dial to indicate if the readings were diameter or distance of movement.
So I first look for the diameter circle with the slash through it. If missing, then test the motion.
And I suspect older machines were not necessarily marked thusly, expecting the machinists to make the tests necessary to know how the cross slide dial was reading.

And with the DRO on my lathe, I can select whether it reads diameter or distance. I like that.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

what is Chinese for Diameter?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:01 amI had succeeded in converting the [collet chuck] backing plate into a paper weight. Well, not totally a paper weight: there's enough meat for me to face off the existing register and make a new one, which I will do. However, I ordered another backing plate...just in case! :D
I was able to salvage the backing plate and now the collet chuck is a precision fit, "precision" meaning a light tap with a mallet was needed to seat it on the backing plate.

Reworked Backing Plate
Reworked Backing Plate

Collet Chuck Mounted on Lathe
Collet Chuck Mounted on Lathe
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

AH, satisfaction!
Nice looking work.
Shiny just-machined steel and iron is like puppies or kittens, so cute and new, you wish it would just stay that way.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:57 amAH, satisfaction!
Nice looking work.
Thanks!
Shiny just-machined steel and iron is like puppies or kittens, so cute and new, you wish it would just stay that way.
Dunno that freshly-machined steel is "cute," but I suppose it has a certain amount of charm and beauty to a ferrophile. What's nicer is achieving a precision fit, which was the goal. :D
pete

Post by pete »

Very nicely done BDD. And yep that precision fit has an indefinable but almost priceless personal satisfaction to it when things go exactly like were hoping for. :-)
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

pete wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:07 pmVery nicely done BDD.
Thanks!
And yep that precision fit has an indefinable but almost priceless personal satisfaction to it when things go exactly like were hoping for. :-)
Also, getting that precision fit produces a strong sense of relief, because it means you didn't turn your part into scrap iron. :D
pete

Post by pete »

LOL, exactly!!! :-)
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Subsequent to doing the "engine swap" on my lathe (meaning, replacement of the motor), I replaced the primary V-belt, which was OEM. The new motor, being three-phase, has a much steeper starting torque curve than the old, single-phase motor, something which was not to the liking of the power transmission system. Each time I powered the lathe I was greeted with a loud screech from the primary belt, no matter how much I tightened it. It almost sounded like the lathe was doing a burnout at the drag strip—I half-expected to see rubber smoke. :D The OEM belt was glazed and ratty, so it had to go.

In the manual that came with the lathe, it is noted that the primary belt is a "B-36." Also, the stencil on the OEM belt said "B-36." Now, in the good, old USA and Canada, "B-36" is an industry-standard trade reference; vendor A's B-36 belt will interchange with vendor B's B-36 belt.

Knowing that, I got a new B-36 belt and, of course, it was the wrong length. Just to be sure I didn't get a wrong belt, I measured the new one—it was indeed a B-36. So it seems a Taiwanese B-36 belt is not like a North American B-36 belt. As there is an O'Reilly Auto Parts store/warehouse about a half mile from the shop, I took the old belt there to see if they could come up with a replacement. I should add that complicating things a bit is the limited amount of belt tensioning adjustment available with the lathe's motor mount. Due to that, there's little wiggle room for belt length, so I had to get it right.

O'Reilly had one of those nifty belt length measuring gadgets and with that we discovered that Taiwan's version of a B-36 belt is about an inch shorter than the Yankee version. As it turned out, a Gates alternator belt for use on a heavy truck was almost exactly the same length as the OEM belt and, to boot, was a cogged type, which is much better at gripping small-diameter pulleys than a solid belt. The new belt is essentially a beefier version of a standard B-35 belt. It's price is also beefier.

Back at the shop, the new belt fit fine. Now when I power the lathe I don't feel like I'm at the drag strip. Based on this little experience, our version of a B-35 belt must be the same length as a Taiwanese B-36. That makes as much sense as a shift lever on a baby buggy.

Speaking of ratty V-belts, the secondary (spindle) V-belt has seen better days as well. According to JET, that one is a B-43, which is likely shorter than a North American B-43. So when it comes out of the machine I'll just head over to O'Reilly and, I hope, get it right the first time. Of course, replacing the spindle belt will mean disassembling the headstock...