NEWLY-ACQUIRED JET 1236PS

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: NEWLY-ACQUIRED JET 1236PS

Post by ctwo »

Well, I'll probably have to find out how align mine as it came missing the two front headstock bolts. I also need to convert four C-channel steel shelving beams into a stand.

I was thinking of making it a CNC lathe too.

Glad you got it all sorted without any mishaps.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:15 am Always joy when a job like that is done [more or less], large object successfully handled and set in it's place.
Without significant damage or injury is a major plus!
No blood-letting occurred at any point...except for a scraped knuckle or two—and the lathe survived without a scratch. I'm still feeling it from yesterday's grunt work. :twisted:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ctwo wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 am Well, I'll probably have to find out how align mine as it came missing the two front headstock bolts. I also need to convert four C-channel steel shelving beams into a stand.
I noted there are alignment screws on the rear of the head stock's base that bear against the (ground) edge of the ways. The head stock sits on a ground surface and does not engage the ways' vees. So it's all up to the alignment screws and the socket screws that anchor the head stock to the bed to keep everything in its place.
Glad you got it all sorted without any mishaps.
Me too. A 12×36 lathe doesn't sound all that big, but there's a lot of dead weight in it. Removing the motor and propulsion components helped with getting the weight down to manageable proportions.

I should have some pictures to post in a few days. Photography has taken a back seat to grunt work.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Here is a picture of the lathe after it had been anchored to the floor and trammed. Next will be getting power and compressed air to it, along with some local lighting.

JET 1236PS
JET 1236PS
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Local lighting?
Imported stuff not good enough for you?

Great to see your machine has arrived home.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That is a nice looking lathe. I hope it serves you well.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:46 am Local lighting?
Imported stuff not good enough for you?
Hardee-har. :D
Great to see your machine has arrived home.
Moving it was an all-day job and tramming it was also a bit of a chore. The legs are weldments and like many weldments, are "close" but not always "close enough." I had to shim one leg about 3/16" at one corner to get it in plane with the other leg. Once that was done I was able to get everything squared up.
NP317 wrote:That is a nice looking lathe. I hope it serves you well.
Thanks. It was in good shape for being a 30 year old machine. The spindle bearings are snug—just a hint of drag with the bull gear pin disengaged. The carriage is tight on the ways and there is just a tiny hint of polishing on the ways' surfaces. I tightened the cross-slide and compound gibs a little bit, and cleaned and lubed everything.

A three- and four-jawed chuck came with it, plus a face plate and dogs, live and dead centers, two tail stock chucks and a steady rest. The tool post was a plain unit, so I replaced it with a QC post. I also got a collet chuck and roughed backing plate, but discovered that the backing plate doesn't fit the spindle. Supposedly, the spindle is 2-1/4"×8 TPI and the backing plate I ordered is supposed to be 2-1/4"×8 as well. It threads onto the spindle most of the way and then jams about 3/8" before seating against the spindle face. Either I've got a thread mismatch or a poorly-machined backing plate.

BTW, the (single phase) motor is rated at 2 horsepower. That's likely a bit of overkill for a machine with a 12" swing, but it's better than being under-powered. Eventually, I will re-power the lathe with a 3-phase motor controlled by a VFD. I'm no fan of messing with V-belts to change spindle speeds. :shock:
rklopp

Post by rklopp »

I had one of those. The spindle nose thread was a bastard thread, something like 63 mm diameter x 8tpi. Check before you spend money on 2-1/4 x 8 tpi tooling.

Mine was better than no lathe, but had issues. The bed was ground with a twist, and I had to pull it down to the floor to get it level at both ends. The bearings ran plenty hot a high RPM. I did not like the feed clutch - that style is too easy to mix up longitudinal and cross feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Surely real men [like us] cut their own chuck backplates.

Mine is 45mm with 4mm thread.
Not as bad as 63mm + 8tpi, but in the end it's equal.
Have to make my own backplates.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

rklopp wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:18 pm I had one of those. The spindle nose thread was a bastard thread, something like 63 mm diameter x 8tpi. Check before you spend money on 2-1/4 x 8 tpi tooling.
I have one as well.

I believe it's 60mm x 8 tpi.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
spro

Post by spro »

My Enco 1236B is almost the same . An issue is the fine feed toggle wing goes "up" for traverse feed and "down" for cross feed. It doesn't take long to remember that. The headstock is different. It is flat without a ledge atop the QCGB. The internal space allowed two internal directional feed levers on the face. There is an electrical box of contactors and small transformers so that you switch power on, by a turn switch in the head face. It lights up and after that, is where the feed switches don't have hi current or voltage. They deal with the contactors. It has a "Jog" button too.
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Glenn. I didn't even know why face plate or back plate internal threading was going so bad with these. I stumbled and tried over and over until I HAD to learn about thread form and pitch diameter. It was so good to know that somebody else had experienced it.
and could tell us it was metric.