Enco Lathe - Extended gib and tail stock clamp

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcman56

Enco Lathe - Extended gib and tail stock clamp

Post by mcman56 »

Hello, I have a couple of questions on my Enco 1340 lathe built in 1994.
1. The gib on the steady rest sticks out. It is adjusted tight. Is some type of retainer part missing? Is there a fix? See red circle in picture.
2. The tail stock clamp slips. The clamp is not very thick at the edges and the finish is poor. Is it worth trying to refinish the clamp surface? Can it be made to work or is it best to make something better?
Thanks,

Dan
Attachments
clamp1.JPG
clamp2.JPG
Gib .JPG
John Evans

Re: Enco Lathe - Extended gib and tail stock clamp

Post by John Evans »

Gib : How far is in on the other end? I see you have a lock screw on the back end going by your picture ,that is a good feature . If the gib adjuster screw on the handle end is bottomed out that tells me the big is worn . If so a simple fix is a shim behind the gib on the non moving side. I usually use a 12" feeler gauge ,works well. If you still have adjustment available on the handle end don't worry about the gib extending out on the back not hurting anything.
www.chaski.com
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Dan,
To me it looks like the end of the gib is broken off. Generally a gib has a slot or pocket that traps a portion of the adjusting screw. The screw doesn't just push the gib, it also has to prevent it from being sucked in during movement of the cross-slide.
I can't tell if those are metal chips/debris adjacent to the screw head or a rough surface where the piece broke off. Being cast iron you can build up with brass and machine a pocket to replace what is lost.
Your tailstock clamp doesn't appear to have much contact area for the clamping surface. Clean it up and the bottom of the lathe bed. Use some bluing and determine what is touching. A bit of file work will easily expand your contact area and improve clamping. Just a good cleaning of the clamp and lathe bed mating surface may help a lot. There shouldn't be oil on it.

Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I read that the gib is a part of a steady rest, and also a reference to the cross slide in a response. Unless there's something I don't understand, the object shown appears to be the compound rest. Is that correct?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Yeah, I screwed up in my reply, I meant compound and wrote cross slide. I knew the OP couldn't have really meant steadyrest...
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

It is the compound rest and the gib does not appear broken. I'll have to see if shim can be inserted to get it to move back. I guess as it is tightened, it has to go somewhere.

I stated filing on the tail stock clamp and it was much less flat than it appeared to be in the picture. I still need to test.

Thanks
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I think I would be tempted to remove the compound and thoroughly clean all of the surfaces and reassemble just in case it is full of crud.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I had a look at the compound gib on my 12X36 Accra -turn {Chinese] and it also uses 2 screws to adjust and lock the gib. The gib also protrudes a small amount at that end [adjustment lock screw] , I have owned that lathe since new [15 years] and have only adjusted gib maybe twice in that period. Don't think you have any issues.
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

So far no one has answered your second question about that tail stock clamp. These are one of the parts that are generally out of sight so some of the manufactures do a less than decent job on the design and finishing. In use I'd bet that not only is the surface finish not helping, but the part is bending upwards as the tail stock cam tightens the assembly. That further reduces the area available for locking your tail stock in place. I'd build a new one from scratch making it as large in all three dimensions as possible that will still fit in the limited space. Anything you can do to add in rigidity will help. If you measure your lathe where that piece is designed to fit I'm sure you'll find it's under size by quite a bit between the machined rails under the lathe ways.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

My tailstock on a jet 13 inch lathe never did stay put real well in a heavy use situation. The surface area of the tailstock on the ways was twice the surface area of the clamp block casting underneath. I saw a friend rebuilding a heavy duty US made lathe and noted the much more robust tailstock bed plate clamp design. I went home and made up a nice wooden pattern that was almost the same size as the foot print of the tailstock. Had it cast up in a nice iron and machined it to fit the ways perfectly. Stoned the contact surfaces and made a new heavy washer for the retainer nut of the clamping stud. A bit of way lube and some final adjustment found the tailstock working as expected and no more movement. My only regret was that I did not get mad and make the new clamp block much sooner. Turned drilling and reaming into a much more vibration free event. No Regrets.

Your tailstock bed plate casting looks just like the old one I retired after making the new super duty casting. The stock factory casting is just enough to get the machine off of the show room floor and not much else. Using much heavier US made machine tools at work has taught me to upgrade the import machines as much as possible.