Little Machine Shop 5100 lathe - opinions?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Little Machine Shop 5100 lathe - opinions?

Post by SteveM »

No, this is not for me.

Someone is offering this to a friend of mine for $500 with some tooling.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/ ... 1271799306

It's an older one that doesn't have the digital readouts on the compound and cross slide.

Here's the actual machine:
LMS1.jpeg
LMS2.jpeg
LMS3.jpeg
Downsides are:
It's chinese
no QC gearbox (although he a beginner at metalworking, so he may not miss that)
small and not very rigid

It says that the leadscrew is inch. Are the dials true inch?

If you look at the dials, they say
0.001" 0.025mm
It can't be both - one of those is wrong.

My math tells me that if they are metric and faking inch that there would be an error of about 8 tenths per revolution of the dial, which to me is unacceptable.

If you have one, or have seen one, let me know what you think.

Steve
Steggy

Re: Little Machine Shop 5100 lathe - opinions?

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pmIt says that the leadscrew is inch. Are the dials true inch?

If you look at the dials, they say
0.001" 0.025mm
It can't be both - one of those is wrong.
0.0250mm == 0.00098 inches. The correct ratio is 0.02540mm == 0.001 inches, which means the manufacturer must have fudged the conversion. The question would be did they fudge to the nearest 0.001 inch, or to the nearest integral millimeter. Looks as though some test cuts would have to be made to determine that.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Does your friend work in inches or mm? That combined with whatever the machine really is would determine whether it is acceptable or not. I'd guess if it says the leadscrew is in inches, then the metric graduations are the ones that are fudged. Let us know what you find out, though.

Dave
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:03 pmDoes your friend work in inches or mm? That combined with whatever the machine really is would determine whether it is acceptable or not.
On the plus side, it does have a quick-change tool post and appears to be in good shape. Lack of a quick-change gearbox would get annoying after a while, but it would be a good lathe for a hobbyist who is only interested in occasionally making small parts from free-machining materials.
I'd guess if it says the leadscrew is in inches, then the metric graduations are the ones that are fudged.
You'd think, it being a Chinese product, they would have fudged the inches. You never can be sure with those folks. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

https://images.craigslist.org/01111_2Mz ... 00x300.jpg
Check out this listing on Craigs list; a much better lathe (made in Austria, not China); $425.00

Unimat SL200 Miniature Lathe. Excellent Condition. Made In Austria.
Images Show Everything That's Included. Can Deliver Within 50 Miles
Of Fairhope, Al. Please Limit Calls To Between 8 AM To 8 PM.
(2Five1)-Nine9Zero-24Six8.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:10 pm https://images.craigslist.org/01111_2Mz ... 00x300.jpg
Check out this listing on Craigs list; a much better lathe (made in Austria, not China); $425.00

You would consider a Unimat to be better?

I've seen them but have never used one. They look pretty cheesy to me. The bed is two metal rods. I can't see that as being as rigid or having the same dampening abilities as cast iron, even cheap chicom cast iron.

Not that I'm doubting you, particularly if you have used one, but why do you think it's a better lathe?

Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Research the lathe for vari-speed issues. Seems to me those [and mills using similar controls ] are somewhat failure prone. Only thing I see to recommend it is price.
www.chaski.com
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'd not expect the rigidity of the Unimat to be as good as the LMS machine. OTOH, the LMS machine probably doesn't have the HP to benefit from it. Otherwise, I do think the Unimat probably has better fit/finish and might be an overall nicer machine to operate.

Dave
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SteveM wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:37 pm
Mr Ron wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:10 pm https://images.craigslist.org/01111_2Mz ... 00x300.jpg

You would consider a Unimat to be better?

I've seen them but have never used one. They look pretty cheesy to me. The bed is two metal rods. I can't see that as being as rigid or having the same dampening abilities as cast iron, even cheap chicom cast iron.

Not that I'm doubting you, particularly if you have used one, but why do you think it's a better lathe?

Steve
Visit a Unimat users group and see what other unimat owners say. It has been around for a long time and has many followers.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:50 pm I'd not expect the rigidity of the Unimat to be as good as the LMS machine. OTOH, the LMS machine probably doesn't have the HP to benefit from it.
Actually, it has more HP than my 12" atlas: 0.7hp.

Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm Visit a Unimat users group and see what other unimat owners say. It has been around for a long time and has many followers.
I understand that some tools have followings that border on being a cult; that's why unimats cost so much.

Atlas lathes have a huge following, and compared to similar sized machines (South Bend, Logan and Sheldon) that following is undeserved (I speak this as an Atlas owner).

The Logans and Sheldons are in many ways superior to the equivalent South Bend lathes, but do not have the "cult" following, so command lower prices. I could upgrade to one for less than I can sell the Atlas.

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SteveM wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:13 pm
Mr Ron wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm Visit a Unimat users group and see what other unimat owners say. It has been around for a long time and has many followers.
I understand that some tools have followings that border on being a cult; that's why unimats cost so much.

Atlas lathes have a huge following, and compared to similar sized machines (South Bend, Logan and Sheldon) that following is undeserved (I speak this as an Atlas owner).

The Logans and Sheldons are in many ways superior to the equivalent South Bend lathes, but do not have the "cult" following, so command lower prices. I could upgrade to one for less than I can sell the Atlas.

Steve
I have a Sheldon 11' toolroom lathe. I was fortunate to find it at the right price and at he right time. I was owned by the U.S. navy and was installed on an LST. I came to me as a complete package that would have included everything needed for onboard use, plus it showed very little use. I feel it is top of the line for small lathes. Finding one in good shape today would be a feat. I can stand a nickle on the lathe while it is running. The popularity of Atlas lathes is probably because of it's amateur consumer focus. More Atlas lathes were probably sold than any of the others.There was a lot of promotion for Atlas tools, plus the price was right. I've owned some Atlas woodworking tools in the past and they performed well. I never had an Atlas lathe and since it is a major purchase, The Sheldon came along and is now a permanent fixture in my shop. My son will inherit it after I'm gone to that great machine shop in the sky.