D1-3 lathe chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: D1-3 lathe chuck

Post by whateg0 »

Did you compare the other dimensions from your spindle to the D1-X specs? Things like the distance from spindle centerline to stud centerline are pretty different from one say a D1-3 to a D1-4. Hope it fits!

Dave
Sandman north

Post by Sandman north »

Mystery SOLVED
With the measurement of the spindle and the 9 /16 pins my best guess was the D1-3
The backing plate that I ordered from Shars 6.3" D1-3 Fully Machined Lathe Chuck Back Plate for 6" Independent Chuck

SKU: 202-6162 was the D1-3

It all fits to my spindle nicely
Now I just have to mount the chuck with some minor machining on the backing plate

Thanks everyone mission almost complete

Harold you pushed me over the edge... I also purchased a set of 1-3 inch micrometers Thanks for the push measuring in real 0.0001 now

Stay safe everyone Ciao
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Sandman north wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:17 pm Harold you pushed me over the edge... I also purchased a set of 1-3 inch micrometers Thanks for the push measuring in real 0.0001 now
How nice to hear that.
It's not easy to make others understand that some of the difficulty they may be experiencing is in their inability to measure properly. Here's why:
A measurement is taken via a questionable method (calipers, as an example). The measurement appears to be good. One then works to that dimension, assuming it's correct. The results, even if the assumed dimension is held, results in mating parts that don't fit. One wonders why. One often places blame on an inability to work to tight tolerances, or to hold a given size.

In order for a part to be machined to exacting specifications, the size of the part must be known. I can think of no better way than to own a nice set of tenth reading micrometers. Keep them calibrated and out of the hands of a fool (they are not C clamps, and must never be misused) and they will serve you for the balance of your life. A real bargain!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.