Clausing 5900 Intermediate Pulley breakdown

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

joelwarrenclocks

Clausing 5900 Intermediate Pulley breakdown

Post by joelwarrenclocks »

I have most of the intermediate pulley assembly taken down. I can't access the (back half) inner section of the pulley. I am at the clutch housing, snap ring off and can't seem to get any farther. How do I pull the housing...or do I? Based on the bottom pulley set up there are probably two set screws holding the front half to the shaft underneath the back (sliding) half of the pulley. Trying to pull it from that side could seriously damage the entire pulley and probably spoil the shaft as well.
Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joel
SteveM

Re: Clausing 5900 Intermediate Pulley breakdown

Post by SteveM »

Can you post pictures?

Also, which model number? The 5914 and the 5904 have completely different drive systems.

The manual for the 5914, including a parts breakdown can be found here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/181/3407.pdf

Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

And if you call Clausing with the the model and serial number they will send you a PDF manual for your exact lathe FREE !! Be VERY careful as most parts are available albeit eye wateringly expensive.
www.chaski.com
joelwarrenclocks

Thank you both for the response. The lathe is a 5914. I had previously downloaded the Vintage manual. I also called Clausing and was sent their spec drawing of that pulley system.
Here are a couple photos of the problem. My main question is how to access the "inner" half of the pulley. I have the system disassembled to the clutch housing. According to the Vintage Manual there aren't any other obstructions within the arbor to keep it from coming off. It just looks like a press fit, clutch thread fitting and all. I have a friend with a hydraulic press, if that's what is called for. But I am apprehensive without knowledgeable input like yours.
A portion of the key way in the pulley casting has been broken out. I have no idea how that happened. I have been running this machine for over 15 years without any problems what so ever. Photo three shows the housing with the spring washer removed. The last two show the broken casting piece.
Attachments
DSC05343.JPG
DSC05344.JPG
DSC05345.JPG
DSC05346.JPG
DSC05347.JPG
joelwarrenclocks

I have made an error. The number on my machine is 5904 not 5914.
joelwarrenclocks

I found another 8 1/2 inch diameter pulley in like new condition for a couple hundred bucks. I was told by that person that I should press off the pulley from the front - timing belt end. I really don't want to spoil the shaft. Please, I need your guidance.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I wish I could offer guidance, but I am unfamiliar with the construction of the assembly. I do have experience operating a similar device, although that doesn't help.

If you do not receive the needed advice, before making any decisions, inspect the device closely. Ensure that there is a seam that would define construction of a press fit. If a seam is found and you make the decision to press apart the pieces, they appear, to me, to be of cast iron. Make sure you support them evenly, and that the pressure applied will be at a right angle. Cast iron is woefully lacking in tensile strength and is easily broken if you ignore those two caveats.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

You might try posting in the Antique section of Practical Machinist forum with your question . At one time there was a gent. that was knowledgeably on these lathes but has not been on the board for close to 2 years. at one time there was a Yahoo group for Clausing,since closed.
www.chaski.com