Does Anyone recognize this follower rest.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RGS

Does Anyone recognize this follower rest.

Post by RGS »

I am trying to identify this follower rest. The only markings on it are casting # B153. I think it would be for at least a 12" lathe.
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3641.JPG
IMG_3642.JPG
SteveM

Re: Does Anyone recognize this follower rest.

Post by SteveM »

It's a follower rest. It's the style of a South Bend.

If you find the intersection of lines thru both fingers and measure from that point to the base, it might give you a rough idea of what size it fits.

Here's a pic from the South Bend catalog:

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I found a couple that were similar. Differences included the casting where the screws go through the casting above each finger and how far up the dog leg is. Some are more rounded, too.

Dave
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

I searched for a while but haven't yet found it. Based on the style (orientation of mounting lugs, sweeping frame) I think it is a Southbend or Logan, probably pre-1940. I found lots of very similar followers, but most (like above) have the dogs on the opposite of the frame. So far my google-foo has let me down.
RGS

Post by RGS »

Thanks for the help. I was afraid that it was too old to be recognized but was hoping. I was unable to google the #s also. It does look somewhat like a South Bend one but not. It seems to be heavier duty than most I have seen. It also appears to mount to the left side of the saddle unlike the South Bends.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

The Logan (and apparently Southbend?) used a 4-digit part number on the older lathes. So, for instance, follower for an old 14" Logan was part# 6320, a steady rest was #6315, etc.(I think they became AC-xxx part numbers sometime very early or pre-1940). Unfortunately I just haven't been able to find catalogs for old style lathes larger than 9".

Edit: Logan apparently started producing lathes in 1940... so there is that idea shot...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

choprboy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:26 pm Unfortunately I just haven't been able to find catalogs for old style lathes larger than 9".
You can get many Logan catalogs on vintagemachinery.org.

Steve
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

Logan would be my guess. It's a little heavy for a South Bend, the numbers don't look like SBL. One other could be Sheldon, they use a similar numbering on their stuff. Ken
Ken
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The Sheldon follow rests in the catalogs I have have mounting holes and not slots.

Logan uses that style.

Logan's part numbers looks like this:

AC-285
AC-196
AC-2196

Steve
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

Thank you sir for the clarification.

Ken
Ken