Cx706 Craftex problems

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EricP

Cx706 Craftex problems

Post by EricP »

Hello all, I have a new Craftex CX706. Under one hour use on it. I was working on a project and it just quit. Both fuses tested fine, yet the spindle won't turn. The RPM screen is on and says 0 rpm. I can turn the spindle by hand, it is still smooth.

Is there any known issues with this unit? I have not yet taken it apart to troubleshoot, just the fuses.

Thanks in advance
Eric
pete

Re: Cx706 Craftex problems

Post by pete »

Only a shot in the dark and since I don't own that lathe my guesses may not be completely accurate for what that lathe actually has. There should be safety switches on both the chuck guard and the left hand end change gear cover that prevent the lathe from starting if either is open even a slight amount. They can fail or have been not quite adjusted as well as they should have been. Failing that then one of the electronics boards may have failed. That's not a unknown issue with some of these off shore machines.
EricP

Post by EricP »

Both safety switches work. The lathe was also in use when it quit. I first suspected a fuse but the fuse tested fine. When I trip each safety switch, the main power is shut off.
spro

Post by spro »

What do you mean by that? The breaker has tripped or fuse has blown. There is a load, an electrical load which may be a short. You can't put amps to that. Does the bed have certain hairy feel to it? Back away and get the wiring straight.
pete

Post by pete »

Then I'd suspect one of the boards is shot. That's still only a guess though. With it being new it's under warranty. Start taking things apart and Busy Bee might deny any warranty claims.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I agree. File a warranty claim.
RSG

Post by RSG »

When I used to have machinery from BB years ago they were always good with providing warranty parts without issue. Call them, I'm sure they will be easy to deal with.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
EricP

Post by EricP »

The power lead on the PCB to the DC motor had a bad crimp on the lug. New spad lug crimped on, all working good.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice! An easy and fast fix.
Well done!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.