Anyone familiar with Supermax Lathes

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

riderdog

Anyone familiar with Supermax Lathes

Post by riderdog »

Howdy,

I'm considering buying a 2005 model 14/40 LT Supermax lathe for use in my shop. Not really familiar with the brand. Not sure if I would be better off to buy an older American made lathe of give the Supermax a try. Appreciate hearing folks thoughts on this.
Richard_W

Re: Anyone familiar with Supermax Lathes

Post by Richard_W »

They seem to sell what ever they get a good buy on. With that being said I have seen the same lathes with the "JET" and "Birmingham". If I remember correctly the ones that I have seen were made in Twain? I don't know which one exactly that you are asking about?

Richard W.
jagboy69

Post by jagboy69 »

I have a 1990 13/38 supermax. They were made in Taiwan back then. I'm still new to this game, but so far I'm happy with it. Mine came with a 2speed 3hp 3phase motor and was able to keep both speeds on a VFD here at the house. Lots of parts for the grizzly and Jet fit it.
You can see it here. I just got it running and was pretty stoked! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ur257c-qIg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Statement about Taiwan is accurate. They are not so much a machine builder as a machine marketing company. Much of Taiwan builds 'standard' machinery cottage industry style for assembly and sale to the world market. Grizzly purchases same. JET used to be Japan Equipment &Tool selling Japanese products ...but they have slid to Taiwanese products over the past 30 years.

Enco draws from this Taiwan supply also

Older usa machines often a better choice
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! Many years ago I had need for multiple drill press spindles. I ended up purchasing three Jet drill presses, which were made in Japan. When the job was completed, I sold two of them. They were of exceptional quality, as, by then, made in Japan had proven to be a good thing. That is a far cry from early Japan production, which rivaled in quality the typical made in China products of today.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.