CRASH.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

CRASH.

Post by armscor 1 »

Facing a large diameter from the centre I was inattentive to the cross slide travel and it reached the end of it's travel and the ensuing noise I know what I had done.
Stripped a gear in the apron and luckily the mating gear suffered minimal damage, the shaft for the damaged gear is flanged and held by 2, 5mm screws breaking one and putting the gears out of mesh some what.
Made a new bronze gear, sacrificial in the event I do it again and yes removed the steel taper pin on the feed shaft coupling and installed a brass one hoping it will shear if it happens again.
Attachments
IMG-20200317-WA0000.jpg
Russ Hanscom

Re: CRASH.

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Good plan, you were fortunate to have the facilities to make the needed parts and repairs.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! What Russ said.
Very nice looking gear, by the way.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had the same thing happen while facing; after the event the driving gears just slipped.
I didn't know that the driving gear was made to slip on a tapered shaft, and took it all apart.
I was lucky, just a little turn of the knob was required.
Since I'm self taught, I have no idea whether most or all lathes are made with a similar safety for the power feed.

Any pictures of the setup you used to make that gear?
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

!8 Tooth gear, my indexing head has a ratio of 72 to 1, just 4 turns on the handle, no need to use the sector arm, easy.
I mounted the gear blank on an arbor to give me safe clearance from the chuck.
Used a module 2 gear cutter.
My 1954 Dean Smith & Grace had a spring and ball clutch on the feed shaft and the Hyundai lathe I used at work had an adjustable clutch in the apron.
I want to replicate the over ride clutch in the DSG I had but not enough space between headstock and carriage.
The Hercus lathe I had, copy of the South Bend, the star clutch would slip if overloaded.
Great protection for crash and we all are not immune from making mistakes.