simple qick change tool post

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

elewayne

simple qick change tool post

Post by elewayne »

There is a simple tool post I've seen mentioned by some guys name. its just a square block with a round post through it and a height bolt, a slot in the side to mount a tool in. anybody know what that post is called? I saw drawings and sizes somewhere but I cant find it again now. i don't really need the drawings, but I'd like to see them again.
Stefants

Re: simple qick change tool post

Post by Stefants »

They’re called Norman style toolposts. There’s an old patent I think and many references to build plans/videos that you can hunt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This is the one I built but I didn't know it had predecessors. This one fits a 10/12 in Atlas/Craftsman lathe compound.
tool post
tool post
There are dimensioned drawings if you wish. PM me and I will send them to you or anyone else interested.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
pete

Post by pete »

That drawing reminds me a bit of the Swiss made Tripan system Earlgo. Supposed to be as rigid as an Aloris or Dorian with the big advantage over them of having a lot more clearance when getting the tool post and holder in tight to the tail stock casting on our smaller lathes. http://anglo-swiss-tools.co.uk/tripan-tool-posts/ Yours should also do the same.
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Norman Patent was what I was trying to remember. Thanks guys.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

pete: This tool block clamps the 5/16" or smaller tool direct without any other complications. The slots are 1/2" wide and 3/8" deep but that is so one can put a clamp pad between the tool and the screw tips.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
drmico60

Post by drmico60 »

whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Why is this considered a QCTP? Doesn't look like it would be very quick to change a tool Maybe quicker than an Armstrong?

Dave
Stefants

Post by Stefants »

whateg0 wrote:Why is this considered a QCTP?

Dave
I think anything that allows you to turn one bolt to release the tool that’s there, drop on another without having to fiddle with center height, then get back to turning is “quick” (in comparison to the previously ubiquitous lantern style or quad block holders). So this counts in my book :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk