Help with Southbend star clutch

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bbolton

Help with Southbend star clutch

Post by Bbolton »

I'm looking for some help with my old 13 inch SB. Been in storage for 10 plus years. Cleaned it enough to make everything work except the star clutch. Worked all the time before storage...both directions.. Now it just spins when I try and tighten. I did use synthetic10-30 to lube everything.... Worked very smoothly until I tried to engage they clutch... Nothing. Thread cutting nut works smooth as silk but don't want to use that.
Any suggestions or help. May end up selling but just can't part with it. Might need someone to come fix it. I'm to old to remember all those years and things. SB 1945 13 inch quick change gear box and I think 4 ft bed.
Thank you
Braf
Bill Shields

Re: Help with Southbend star clutch

Post by Bill Shields »

multi-weight oil is not the best idea for a machine tool....

you are most likely going to have to really clean the clutch to get it to work...which may require disassembly...since getting all of the crud out may not be possible any other way.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ekim

Post by ekim »

I had the same problem with my 1929 SB (13 in)
I found that the real remedy was to bite the bullet and completely dis assemble the carriage.
It's a real process that involves supporting the lead screw as you slide the carriage off the bed.
There is a formal SB process document for this.
I'll have to look at my previous emails to find it, but
once it is done , it works wonders.
The previous owner of the lathe used the half nuts to drive the carriage and almost wore out the half nuts completley.
mercifully I as able to find serviceable half nuts to replace them
In my experience, it was worthwhile to do the whole carriage removal process.;
The other things is to keep the carriage well oiled including those little holes One or two squirts of oild helps keep that clutch from sticking.
ekim

Post by ekim »

I found a nice , old video on the SouthBend lathe.
At about 11 minute mark, you'll see the clutch for the carriage feed.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/s ... eo-375865/