turnmaster 13X30 oil leaks

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ajsalmi

turnmaster 13X30 oil leaks

Post by ajsalmi »

I finally got fed up with my oil leaks and thought I was in for a long task of replacing seals. The shift leavers all were leaking and the back gear seal and oring and the gasket on the pulley side of spindle also the gearbox seals. It turns out I was able to fix all the leaks without disassembling the whole headstock or gearbox.
The spindle doesn't have seals, just a slinger and drain hole back to the reservoir but the gasket holding the pulley side bearing in place needed permatex on it. The pulley has 2 setscrews and maybe there was double screws in one of the holes. While the above apart you can get to the back gear, you don't need the remove the taper pin to disassemble the back gear just the retaining rings on the inside.
The shift leaver seals can be replaced by removing the leaver and snap ring on the inside.
The gearbox front cover comes off with just 6 screws, gasket sealer on the gasket and new orings on the shift leavers.
After measuring the orings I determined they are odd sizes (maybe Toyota) and ordered them from Lagun Sales in southern California at a cost of about $120. There is a valuable guy there named Carmen that knows all about these lathes.
Of course I have an owners manual the find the part number for the seals (they don't sell a kit that has all the seals).
I put up with this leaky machine for 10 years and it probably took me a few hours to fix it.
I didn't take any pictures, so... this is all you get.
I did this a few months ago and, so far, no leaks.
I hope this helps some of you guys and I'm grateful for this forum and I have learned a lot from all of you.
jeffanderson

Re: turnmaster 13X30 oil leaks

Post by jeffanderson »

Your Turnmaster is a Colchester clone.
I have a Clausing Colchester 15x50 that has the same issue. I was planning someday on replacing the orings in the apron.
Could you please tell us what you had to do to replace these?
How tough of a job is it.
I assume standard orings are ok?
Thanks
Jeff
ajsalmi

Post by ajsalmi »

I didn't have any leaks from the apron, so, all I can say is the orings are not standard on these lathes. As I stated above they seem to be some Japanese size, definitely not metric or inch sizes
YardApe_AZ

Post by YardApe_AZ »

Hey guys! I recently picked up one of these American Machine Tool Turnmaster 13x30's as a project (price was right). I have no history with one of these bad boys and have not been able find ANY info so I'm in desperate need of a parts diagram (has some missing parts) and or users manual. If any of you can point me in the right direction please PM me! Thanks so much!
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Did You try Lagun ?

https://www.lagun.com/at-1340-g-tw/

Rich