Proper way lubricants

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

c1802362

Proper way lubricants

Post by c1802362 »

I inherited two South Bend bench lathes, plus a 5 gallon bucket of Kelsol and a 5 gal bucket of Conoco Hydroclear TCS Slideway lube 68. Both of the buckets have been opened, are nearly full, and are about 10 years old. They don't smell rancid, so should I use either or neither to lube the ways of the lathes, or are there better lubricants?
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Re: Proper way lubricants

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

I've used some pretty old way oil, but after a while I found it leaves a varnish. That's probably the time to dump it and buy new. There are lots of people bottling up the right lubes for SBs.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I use stihl chain and bar oil, works well.
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

Mobil Vactra #2 Way Oil.
40 year retired machinist.
pete

Post by pete »

Vactra No. 2 here as well. Afaik as long as the way lube is still clear it's ok to use as is. There's been a few forum threads around on various boards mentioning some way lubes can go a bit cloudy if it goes off. Zero idea if that's true or not, and that also might have been the result of contamination or a bit of water getting into the oil. I also have no idea if the additives in way oil will start to settle out given enough time. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to give the container a good long shake just in case.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Vactra 2 for lathes and any horizontal sliding surfaces.
Vactra 4 for mill columns and any vertical sliding surfaces - clings better.

Steve
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

SteveM wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:38 am Vactra 2 for lathes and any horizontal sliding surfaces.
Vactra 4 for mill columns and any vertical sliding surfaces - clings better.

Steve
I use Vactra 2 for both but obviously it needs to be applied more frequently on vertical surfaces.
pete

Post by pete »

My mill came with felt wipers on both the upper and lower part of the knee. Any extra or excess Vactra no. 2 does run off, but the felt still absorbs enough to lay down a thin coat of way lube on those vertical surfaces as long as I oil often enough. There pretty simple and it wouldn't be hard to shop build something for almost any mill to do the same.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

pete wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:53 pm My mill came with felt wipers on both the upper and lower part of the knee. Any extra or excess Vactra no. 2 does run off, but the felt still absorbs enough to lay down a thin coat of way lube on those vertical surfaces as long as I oil often enough. There pretty simple and it wouldn't be hard to shop build something for almost any mill to do the same.
Great idea! I was looking for another little improvement project for my mill and this may just be it. Thanks!
pete

Post by pete »

Glad I gave you some inspiration Lou. :-) Try a search on Youtube for Milling Machine Way Wipers. Most of what will come up will be for lathes instead, but the design and ideas are pretty much the same for a mill.