Graziano SAG12

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tld2375

Re: Graziano SAG12

Post by Tld2375 »

Well, It's been a couple of years since this fix and she's running well, both times I've used it. I think it's time to sell. I think its worth about $10K. Cuz its vintage. Vintage is the key word on many sites anymore. Seriously I have no Idea what its worth. Its not a parts machine, has a two speed motor and all works, as far as I know. The previously installed transformers are on top and need to be installed better. Other than that she looks pretty good for a 60 something year old girl. Bare machine no tooling, but there is a 3 jaw chuck and a quick change tool post. I'm open to offers and comments. I'll get some pics if there is any interest.
It takes a lot of balls to build bearings. I have more balls than anyone in Oregon!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

So..where is it? Fiji?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Newberg Oregon. Not Fiji, but that might be nice….
It takes a lot of balls to build bearings. I have more balls than anyone in Oregon!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

More interest is possible if pictures of other than electrical panel :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

IMG_2442.jpeg
IMG_2442.jpeg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
IMG_2444.jpeg
IMG_2444.jpeg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
IMG_2443.jpeg
IMG_2443.jpeg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Here are some pics in no particular order.
I have more pics, but they are upsidedown when posted, for some reason
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The pictures are too small to be of much value. Being blurry doesn't help. Can you please take some that are larger? Shoot for 1024 X 768 pixel size. That should provide some detail.

If you are taking pictures with your phone, it has been reported that how you hold the phone dictates if the pictures will post upright, or not. I can't address that issue, as I don't have a phone that takes pictures.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

After a frustrating hour of screwing with pics I gave up. Today I got the real camera:
201_1791.jpeg
201_1794.jpeg
201_1795.jpeg
201_1796.jpeg
201_1797.jpeg
Attachments
201_1790.jpeg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the additional pictures.
An amazing amount of rust on that machine. Even the ways and screw. Any idea why?

I suspect that this machine has a brake. The button in the center of the speed selector lever. Does it function?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

There is some rust on the handles and other parts that don’t see much action. She is in an umheated shop in Oregon. the ways and screws don’t have any rust. The pictures don’t do it justice. I turned a lot of L605 for a few years and used coolant. The coolant has left a sticky film, which has protected it from rust, but is brown and ugly. I never used the brake if there is one, i’ll have to check it out. Well having two lathes isn’t a bad thing. Maybe l should just hang on to her. She may be ugly, but she’s got personality!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the additional information. It's comforting to know it isn't rusted.
The brake is on only the newer models. Same goes for the two speed motor. Indications are my Sag12 is the first one to be sold with a two speed, which I ordered even though it wasn't offered. It delayed shipment of my lathe by about six months, but it was worth the wait.

My machine doesn't have the brake button, but I routinely use reverse as a brake. I believe if you do a little searching you'll discover that yours does the same thing, likely with a relay of sorts, which is activated by depressing the button in the center of the joy stick.

I've had a little clutch trouble with mine, although only one of them was recently. When the machine was new and still under warranty, Mario (who lived in Italy) paid a couple visits to my shop to replace two of them. They are no longer available, so I made the tooling and rewound the one that failed recently. I have yet to install it, however, but the rewind went quite nicely, as did the potting. For the record, there's six clutches in the trans, all identical.

I ran coolant in mine when it was used for gain. There's precious little paint left around the headstock as a result. The paint they used dissolved quite readily. I live in Western Washington, so I understand the deal with the shop condition. My shop is heated and I run a dehumidifier, so I'm not plagued with rusting.

H

Edit: I just reviewed the pictures again. Do you happen to have the thread dial?
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

No Thread dial and the brake button does not function. Don't know if it doesn't work or is not on this machine.
Heres a couple picts of the ways, which you can see are rust free. There is a dirty cover as you can also see.She could use a good cleaning.
201_1805.jpeg
Attachments
201_1803.jpeg
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

anyone care to offer an opinion as to value? Offering an opinion will NOT be considered a contractual obligation. (my comment about$10K vintage BS was just my sick humor) I'm not looking to get rich off this machine. I would like to have the room and I have another lathe...
I won't call the scrapper, yet. Then there is a Hyprez lapping machine that needs to go.