Graziano SAG12

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tld2375

Re: Graziano SAG12

Post by Tld2375 »

The rectifier is not a problem, I have new modern types. 24/30/32 volts does’t matter much.
The real question is, the transformer the problem or just a symptom of a bigger problem?
It is obviously smoked, and has 0 volts output and 240volts input. (Yes l checked it)
After poking around a little, l believe the control circuit is OK, with the exception of the transformer. It would be really helpful to know the resistance of some of the other things in the other circuits, such as the clutches. That is assuming the clutches are 30/32 volts from the transformer and not line voltage controlled by a contactor. I have not gotten that far yet.
Anyone have any juicy details such as that?
I can read a schematic, but testing components requires a little more.
To complicate matters, l’m getting old, and simple things aren’t anymore! :shock:
It takes a lot of balls to build bearings. I have more balls than anyone in Oregon!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Disconnect one of the coils, of the clutch magnets, from the system, read the resistance. This will allow one to figure out the amperage needed. Then the transformer could be sized accordingly. In fact, I think it would be a good Idea to test the resistance of all the coils to see if they are all the same, or if one has failed. You can also test the coils of the contactors the same way. The schematic shows the clutches are definitely 30/32VDC. Unless Graziano did a major redesign, and I have found no evidence of that, yours should be too. It is said that the electrical systems of their lathes were the biggest problem. There is also an electrical timer in the clutch system. I think it so only one clutch is engaged at one time. Harold says if two clutches engage at the same time, the spindle will come to a abrupt stop. Send me a PM if you want to talk it out on the phone.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Did a quick search on Ebay for multi tap transformers ….came up with this

--https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eltosch-120203 ... OSwGiRTq0s~

You might wind up having to replace the single unit with 2 separate transformers.

Nyle
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Patio, my mistake.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Patio

Post by Patio »

tornitore45, no problem. Thanks for the clarification.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

The idea of two transformers seems the best. Standard transformers are available and inexpensive'
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Not much getting done, stand by ‘til after the holiday!
Thank you all for the help, and happy Thanksgiving!
It takes a lot of balls to build bearings. I have more balls than anyone in Oregon!
Patio

Post by Patio »

It'll get done when it gets done! :) Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

ITS ALIVE!
Finally found some time for this. I replaced the transformer with 2 single voltage transformers and the 32V rectifier.
She's up and running again....
Apparently the rectifier had shorted out and fried the transformer. Not until I replaced the rectifier did she come alive.

Thanks All for the help!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Good to hear it, although I was looking forward to buying it for spare parts for mine! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Well, next time something breaks....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'll keep a good thought! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.