Need Grizzly/Jet/Frejoth cross feed gear suggestions?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Packard V8

Need Grizzly/Jet/Frejoth cross feed gear suggestions?

Post by Packard V8 »

Jet 1024P
Grizzly G9249 12 x 37
Lantiane Frejoth LAM350

The brass cross feed gear on these lathes seems to be a total piece of underengineered garbage and my searches find numerous threads of failed parts, but no new and improved gear which won't fail with normal careful operation. Anyone have any suggestions?

If no new and improved, has anyone managed to get a replacement from Grizzly or Jet? Thus far, my two inquiries there have been answered with puzzled confusion and no gear.

jack vines
spro

Re: Need Grizzly/Jet/Frejoth cross feed gear suggestions?

Post by spro »

This topic was presented some years ago. There were even pix of the inside of the apron. I don't mean to confuse again but it may be that the second rail (gear to worm) which wears out, is confused to the actual one driving the cross slide.
Hey we need to get this nailed down. These are decent workhorse lathes with hardened ways but yes, those gears.
WJH

Post by WJH »

3D print or make a new one?
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

And yes, it's the gear on the back side of the apron which is driven by the worm gear on the feed shaft.

FWIW, I just ordered one from Grizzly; P9249335 - $88 with shipping and sales tax. Hope it's the correct gear. Also, there was a "V2" note, so again, hope they beefed up the guaranteed-to-fail original.

As mentioned, these are otherwise solid machines, but that one part was just not sufficient to the application.

jack vines
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Late update, but it was the correct part and a half-day's work to install and re-tune everything.

jack vines
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for your follow-up note.
Good to hear you were successful with Griz.
Back to machining now.
~RN