Purely hypothetical taper question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Purely hypothetical taper question

Post by neanderman »

If one's lathe has a taper attachment, are there still times when one would use tailstock offset for tapering? Or where one might use both?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
John Evans

Re: Purely hypothetical taper question

Post by John Evans »

Long shallow tapers ,longer than what the TA can generate you could use the TS. Or move the TA and blend the join. I suppose there could be a job where 2 tapers are on the same work piece and you might use both. Never say never ! LOL
www.chaski.com
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks. It occurred to me after reading a different thread.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
N.R. Davis

Post by N.R. Davis »

One of my jobs for this year is to chamber a rifle barrel using a boring bar. So I plan on using the taper attachment for the body, and then switch to the compound to do the shoulder of the round. Few stub barrels to work out the bugs but should be fun!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I expect it won't be easy, as the bore diameter versus depth is a bit out of reason, one of the reasons reamers are generally employed. I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:I expect it won't be easy, as the bore diameter versus depth is a bit out of reason, one of the reasons reamers are generally employed. I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out.
Of course, you can always use the compound or taper attachment to MAKE the reamer to do the job.

My dad did that for a friend that needed a resizing die for a really oddball cartridge (he described it as a cannon shell necked down to a phonograph needle). I had to do the trig for him.

Steve