Tool Post Grinder

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

N.R. Davis

Tool Post Grinder

Post by N.R. Davis »

This was less than what the local Used Tool place wanted for a Dumore Tool Post Grinder and I don"t have to be concerned about getting grinding grit all over my Lathe.
4 Hours to get it off the truck but what else would I be doing on a Saturday Night?
DSCN1930.JPG
earlgo

Re: Tool Post Grinder

Post by earlgo »

Instead of swarf on the lathe you will have swarf on/in the shop proper. Hope the shower curtain came with it. :P

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
N.R. Davis

Post by N.R. Davis »

No shower curtain, but being a Grumpy Old Man I will be able to keep this and my general grinders in there own room in the basement. Even will have a outside exhaust hooked up. Now for my lungs.....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Post your location in your profile.

That way I will know if you are close enough for me to bring work over :-)

Nice score.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, very nice score. I wish I had room for a few dedicated grinders. But I'll have to be satisfied with the current surface grinder and Delta Tool Maker, I just don't have room without packing in tighter than I'm willing. Had that in my old shop, not again (if I can help myself). Though the Tool Maker will likely see an upgrade to something better someday, when/if I stumble onto a deal...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BadDog wrote:...when/if I stumble onto a deal...
Around here, there are deals to be had on surface grinders because most people don't have the means to transport them and get them into their shops, particularly basement shops.

There's a Brown and Sharp for $500 and several others in the 6x18" size for around that.

I had an offer of a Delta Toolmaker for $100, but at the time, I had nowhere to put it. While not the perfect surface grinder, it would have been the best one in my shop (which has none).

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

About your lungs... is a viable concern. When I was doing a lot of grinding sharpening threading dies, I had a shop vacuum hooked up so it would suck the swarf and dust out of the enclosure. I also used a dust mask but it had no breath valve so my glasses fogged. Then I found these:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/153313 ... of-20.aspx
Remember to wear them every time along with your safety glasses.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, the deals out there. That B&S is a one of them if in good functional shape. Nice heavy well built machine. My Tool Maker was $100, and good shape except for the Z screw which was shot. It's not pristine with all it's art-deco covers, but it works, though really never sees use.

I had the ubiquitous BS 612, actually have had a few (all were projects), but recently found a really nice low use industrial level Taiwanese surface grinder (label says "Samson"). There is enough iron in it to make at least 2 BS 612s, and while it has a stated 6x12 practical working envelope, it had enough travel to regrind it's own table well past the chuck location (and all the way to the t-slot ends!). It also fits an 8" wheel on a slightly larger than standard hub (still 1.25"). It came with 2 hubs, but unfortunately won't use the others I've accumulated unless I regrind it to suit (taper is only slightly larger). One other benefit that was a significant reason for upgrade, it has a cable drive on X rather than rack. Oh, and it also has a heavy cover over the wheel with dresser mount and adjustable vacuum port (to get right down to the part and catch debris) and the base itself is a giant vacuum with "file folder" reusable filter elements.

I don't have words for how much nicer this machine is than what I had before. Most importantly, it's so much easier to get a good finish. And even with my vacuum running and rigged with a catcher at the end of the table plus at times a curtain, I always had a mess. But when I had finished grinding in the table, the base of the chuck, and the top of the chuck, (quite a fair bit of grinding) there was really almost no dust or debris to be cleaned! It was pretty easy to tell since I had just cleaned the area well before setting the machine in place, and it was still clean after regrinding the stack. LOVE the vacuum! It's powered by (IIRC) a Baldor 1 hp motor, and REALLY moves some air, though it is rather loud. And the adjustable "catcher" head is mounted on the wheel guard so you can adjust it down (usually) within 1/32 or so of the work so that almost no grit gets by, though you do have to pay attention reset after dressing (ask me how I know). And yes, most wouldn't have ground the table and the bottom of the vise (some machines CAN'T grind the table), but it was off when I got it and there was obvious oxidation where it had been setting, and I wanted to be sure it was solidly bedded and would go back with minimal cleanup when/if I should have to remove the vise. Once the very minimal oxidation (mostly in the outline of the chuck) was gone, it only took about a thou' to cleanup the table perfectly, but it took a little more on the bottom of the vise.

So what did this much appreciated upgrade cost me? $300 And I moved/set it myself in 2 pieces, base and grinder, plus the already loose vise removed.

So as I said, maybe one day I'll run across similar deals on a center grinder or better tool grinder (not that I really need either). But I'm in no hurry and a lot of folks know I'll bite on a good deal, so ever so often I hear things that get my attention...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper