Jet 1236P

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Jet 1236P

Post by John Evans »

Depending on how old it is anything made 2000 up should be a gearhead with D1-4 spindle . Tooling no issue as to tool post -centers etc. They came with follow rest-steady rest,3&4 jaw chucks and faceplate. Normally dual voltage single phase -can be wired 110-220. If by some chance it is a belt drive head be sure the back gears are good.
www.chaski.com
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

For that price, if it appears to be in good shape and comes with a reasonable range of accessories, I'd jump all over it.
I'd check the fluid levels and condition (just look at the sight glasses) to be sure it wasn't run dry or with nasty oil.
Check the ways for damage or obvious signs of wear.
Check all the handwheels for free and smooth turning with no binding spots in the travel or excessive slop/backlash.
If it's under power, run it in each gear, forward and reverse. Listen for any clicks and clacks. Watch the shift levers for 'hopping'. That's a sign of broken gears, which is what mine had.
As far as tooling, it's fairly standard. You want to be sure it comes with a decent 3-jaw (and hopefully 4-jaw) chuck, the tailstock, and toolpost. A quickchange toolpost (QCTP) is a really nice extra, as long as it's a good quality one, and comes with enough tool holders. There's no such thing as enough, but 3-4 regular holders, plus any specialized holders, will be a solid start.
If it has a steady or follow rest, or a taper attachment, those are all nice additions as well, but I wouldn't sweat them for that price.
Post a few photos or a link to the ad if you want and we can eyeball it for you.
agshooter

Post by agshooter »

so far can't get a response from the seller...
spro

Post by spro »

The quick change gear box-looks the same but I didn't bust mine . Something else would break outside . A newbie could force the fine feed while the lead screw was engaged. That caused trouble but seems insignificant now. A brass worm wheel became stripped. The lead screw, by carriage,. could drive the tailstock off the bed. Instead of sacrificial pin, a roll pin. Only that and running into the chuck under power, would cause damage to those gears.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh yes. The lathe. We are talking about the ones with helical gears and 4.5 Morse taper in the spindle? Enco brand made in Taiwan and people hated them so much. I got around that after placing it into the basement. Serious heavy iron and hardened ways. ..to a trip thru doors around corners, down the basement stairs and it rolled over on me. We got personal really quick in an instant.
It came with the metric transposing gears which allow metric feed. So, get any gears you see to fit 127 and mate but not rob from another's machine.