Way wear and lube

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Way wear and lube

Post by RSG »

I've noticed some wear on the ways near the chuck that seems to be getting worse. I bought the lathe new about 5 years ago. I've tightened up the gibs on the saddle twice and in the beginning it was a bit too hard to move then got smoother, now running quite loose up front again. For the most part I would lube it every so often and usually with head stock oil, wiping it down with a paper towel. Once oiled I would wipe it dry. Lately I have just been leaving it on and adding more every few days.

My question is am I causing wear prematurely and should I be using a different lube.

Thanks in advance.

RG
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
spro

Re: Way wear and lube

Post by spro »

The good news is; you use your lathe and are aware of these things. The bad news is that way wipers are not impermeable to lapping grit. There is more to this and "way" oil is part of it.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

You are certainly causing premature wear! Gibs should not be kept tightened up and the ways should be wet with
way lube at all times except when wiped down to clean them. After which everything is immediately oiled up again!
Way lube oil is very much different from 'head stock' oil. I presume you mean spindle oil. Way oil is much heavier
and stickier thus providing a sturdy, reliable layer for the carriage to slide on. And the wipers should be removed
and cleaned regularly.

Pete
Just tryin'
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

RSG wrote:For the most part I would lube it every so often and usually with head stock oil, wiping it down with a paper towel. Once oiled I would wipe it dry. Lately I have just been leaving it on and adding more every few days.
Wow! You couldn't have done much worse if you tried. (I agree with 10KPete)
For starters, ways should be lubed with the proper oil---way oil. Many folks use Vactra 2, but there are others.
The use of the proper oil is important on way surfaces, as they tend to run dry (which is HUGE mistake), and they often stick, then slip. Way oil is formulated to prevent both actions. Using none allows for metal to metal contact. Metal to metal contact equates to premature wear. Oil is a necessity.

Wiping ways dry and then placed in service isn't acceptable, not for any reason. They should be wiped dry, but immediately oiled, with a generous film of oil for the slides to bear upon. You can not apply too much oil, but you definitely can apply too little, which you have been doing.

If the oil on ways is any darker than it is when it is applied, it should be IMMEDIATELY wiped clean, with fresh oil applied. The discoloration is a sign of worn metal, which now becomes lapping compound, accelerating wear on the ways.

Ways should be wiped and re-oiled EVERY time one starts using a machine. Dust settles on the surfaces, and becomes lapping compound unless it is removed. Further, if one operates a machine for more than a couple hours, ways should be wiped and re-oiled again. Oil is cheap compared to restoring damaged surfaces.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

spro mentioned that way wipers gather lapping grit and I was told by a machine rebuilder that the way wipers should be replaced every 6 months. Home hobbyists probably can wait longer between changes, but they still must be changed to prevent wear.
Here is what happens if you NEVER change the wipers or use the proper way oil. (1958 Atlas Lathe)

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am cringing at the thought of tightening gibs up so the carriage is hard to move.

Thanks for the wiper info, Earlgo.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

How do we know what is the proper gib adjustment? I recall reading a Bridgeport CNC manual, where you could not tell how much drag there is because there are no handles, just motors to drive the axis, that the gibs are adjusted by using a DTI from the knee or column to the edge of the table and then trying to rotate the table by hand - there should be 5 tenths max movement, less springback. I've never been able to figure out how to apply that to the lathe. I usually tighten the carriage gib until there is almost no detectable drag, the cross slide gets a wee little drag to help chatter and self feeding, and the compound is usually the tightest.

That way oil is a marvelous thing. When I set my saddle on my knee, with a fresh coat of way oil, I discovered that my mill is not level - the saddle slowly drifts to the end, even after the gib has been adjusted... :D
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

ctwo, you seem to know how to set 'em 'cause you're doing it well. If you think about it, a machine wants to be
adjusted so the parts move with minimal, or no, friction and minimal, or no, 'shake'. Put that together with a
good lubricant and you're good to go. For a long time!!

Pete
Just tryin'
RSG

Post by RSG »

Almost forgot about this question.

Thanks for all your replies. It appears as though I have been negligent (could be a subliminal excuse to by another lathe :lol: ). I will not waste any time getting the proper oil. I don't know why I never did to begin with.

RG
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Vactra is easy to find, and you know Enco's crazy sales.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I've been reading this thread with interest; I've always used motor oil but you folks have convinced me to change my ways.
The way I oil my ways...

Today I was at a local shop that has a big lathe they use for equipment repair. I asked the guy if he uses way oil; he'd never heard of it, uses motor oil.
But he said he'd ask his supplier about it.
So, information spreads.

I ordered some from England [they call it slideway oil]. I'm not even going to try to find something like that out here in rural Portugal.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've happily used way oil on my lathe for years. Fortunately...

I also found that way oil is excellent for side rod and axle bearings on steam locomotives!
It doesn't wash out easily, and really sticks around. With over 500 real miles on my locomotive's rod bushings, there is no detectable wear! 'Never had a hot box either.
Way oil is the Way to go.
~RN