Kennedy brown paint and drawer-pulls

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PeteH

Kennedy brown paint and drawer-pulls

Post by PeteH »

I have about ten Kennedy boxes. Some of them (like me) are getting a bit old and shopworn. Unlike me, they can be touched up. On Kennedy's website, they want something like $33 for a rattlecan of the brown wrinkle paint.

Anybody know of something that matches that color and texture but not that price (and preferably widely distributed) ?

Also, some of mine (the machinists' chests) have small rectangular drawer pulls. Some are missing. THey don't appear on Kennedy's site. Suggestions where to get 'em ? (Short of filing them out of a block of white plastic, that is.)

Thanks... Pete
Pete in NJ
Lew Hartswick

Re: Kennedy brown paint and drawer-pulls

Post by Lew Hartswick »

One of my Kennedys has one of the drawer pulls missing too, so I'm interested in either one or how
to make and attach one.
...lew...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pete,
Some time ago I rebuilt an old Traumner beam scale, which was originally black wrinkle painted. Wanting to keep it looking somewhat original, I found rattle cans at a paint store for a lot less than you have been quoted. Seems like it was around $12/can, and I believe it was offered in other colors. The paint store in question serves the auto industry (Wesco Autopaint, in Centralia, Washington), if that helps. I do not know if it's a part of a national chain---

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
sch

Post by sch »

If you are doing touch up and updating, the wrinkle will show through an overcoat, so the new paint doesn't HAVE to be wrinkle, just color matched which
you can probably do at any paint shop and then spray it on. The car people do this as wrinkle is apparently only in limited colors, so they spray a base coat
of wrinkle and top coat it with the desired color.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks, Harold... according to Google, Wesco products are available here in Joizey, so it's probably a national brand. There's an autobody supplies place one town over, so I'll stop there with one of the drawerfronts and see what they can do.

sch... there are places where the paint's chipped off or got rust freckles showing through, so it will need sanding. Can't just shoot the rattle can stuff over it.

Cheers... PeteH
Pete in NJ
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Have you tried looking in Pep Boys or Auto Zone for wrinkle paint ?
VHT makes one that comes in spray cans, only two colors black and red, but
at $10 a can easy enough over spray the wrinkle with the color of your choice.
Note the wrinkle paint needs a long time to cure, heat can help it along.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/wrinkleplus/
JackF

Post by JackF »

Pete,

My Ace Hardware has wrinkle paint at about $8 a can. The brown paint isn't a exact match to the Kennedy color, more redish, but close enough for me so I just tpainted the whole box. I is a 3 drawer bottom roller with a 2 drawer mid and a 7 drawer top box and the color difference is noticeable but will do for me. :roll: :wink: :D

Jack.
drivadesl

Post by drivadesl »

JackF wrote:Pete,

My Ace Hardware has wrinkle paint at about $8 a can. The brown paint isn't a exact match to the Kennedy color, more redish, but close enough for me so I just tpainted the whole box. I is a 3 drawer bottom roller with a 2 drawer mid and a 7 drawer top box and the color difference is noticeable but will do for me. :roll: :wink: :D

Jack.
Would love to see a picture of how it turned out! I've got a couple of old Kennedys that can stand some sprucing up....
JackF

Post by JackF »

Pete,

Will try to get a pic tomorrow, if not Sat. for sure. :wink: :)

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

On the subject of old Kennedys, do any of you have one of their old roll-aways? Mine was purchased back in '66, and has the old friction glides. I've grown to hate the damned thing. The drawers don't move easily, and they're getting worse with time.

Any suggestions that might turn an old unwanted box in to a functional one? Bearing glides certainly would fix the problem. Is there such a thing available?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Here is the pic of a bottom roller I painted with Ace Hardware brown wrinkle paint. It is a Craftsman but I am sure it was made by Kennedy as it is nearly a twin to another 3 drawer bottom roller :roll: :wink: :lol: . On it sit the 7 drawer top and 2 drawer mid kennedy boxes for the color comparison.

Jack.
Attachments
_DSC0005.jpg
magickpunk

Post by magickpunk »

Has anyone had any experience with Gox7. Automotive paint, many colors to choose from, and looks to me like gunmetal would match pretty dang close. I have a Kennedy desperately in need of painting after years of neglect.

Should be able to find paint here:
https://www.gox7.com/index.php?ws=ourpr ... enproducts